There is a lot Linux software, both proprietary and free, both paid and free. It is true that the vast majority of software that exists for Linux is open source, like the kernel itself, but sometimes we get lost among so many alternatives. And it is that many times we find that outside Windows there are other alternatives and not only that, but newcomers to Linux see how within this world they exist alternatives within alternatives and many times they do not know what to choose ...
In this article we will make a ranking of the best free software for Linux. The advantage of this software is that we will not have to pay a penny of a euro to acquire it and also many of the licenses of these programs are quite permissive, I mean, it is free software.
Here is the list of the ranking. Among the top software for Linux are the following titles arranged by category:
- Office suite: on the podium of the office suites we have LibreOffice.
- PDF reader: in this category names such as Okular or Envice.
- eBook Reader: there is a program for both Windows and Linux called Caliber and it would be the standout.
- Domestic accounting: to keep the accounts up to date you can count on GnuCash.
- Personal information manager: our daily schedule can be Evolution.
- Publications: for those who dedicate themselves to writing books or other formats Scribus is the best tool for it.
- Photo retouching: the alternative to Photoshop is GIMP.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): For high dynamic range image processing, we can do with Luminance HDR.
- Photo organizer: to have our images well cataloged, the best is Picasa.
- Vector graphics editor: if image editing is our thing, it would be a good idea to have installed Inkscape.
- House design: whether you are a professional, as if you are an amateur and would like to design your future home, you can count on Sweet Home 3D.
- Design 3D- For video games and movies, you can create the characters and figures thanks to the enormous and huge potential Blender.
- Media player: VLC Media Player is the most prominent in this regard.
- Music player: Rhythmbox It is the most famous and promising of all the projects at the moment, without belittling other quite strong rivals.
- Multimedia Center: if you want to transform your computer into a true Media Center, the most prominent option is XBMC.
- Audio converter: SoundConverter is a free audio format converter that can support quite a few formats.
- CD / DVD recording software: K3b It is a suite similar to Nero for Windows and we awarded it the gold medal.
- Software CD / DVD Emulator- To mount ISO images from hard drive, without burning them to disc, the best is Furius the ISO mount.
- Ripper: if your thing is to rip CDs or DVDs, you can download Asunder or Handbrake...
- Audio editor- Retouching audio and adding effects is easy with Audacity. And if you accompany it with LMMS, the options will be much greater.
- Video editor: edit your movies with a multitude of options thanks to Avidemux.
- Treatment of compressed files: welcome to PeaZip, it supports many different compression formats.
- Wallpaper manager: take a look at Wally.
- Web browsers- Chrome / Chromium are probably good to take the top spot, but better to choose Mozilla Firefox.
I hope this list is useful for you, I am aware that there are many more categories of software that have not been included in the list. Anyway, you can consult a list of alternatives to Windows programs that we find in Linux. It is interesting especially if you are new to this world and you are a little lost ...
More information - The best Linux distributions for 2013
4 comments, leave yours
Excellent, very good contribution, thank you.
Thanks, I'll take a look at some that I haven't tried.
Very good list of programs, thank you very much for the article: D
There is a detail in WEB browsers. I choose »Google» CHROME (not CHROMIUM) because it allows me to see NETFLIX in both UBUNTU and WINDOWS. Netflix only works with CHROME (on GNU / Linux), in WINDOWS you can watch NETFLIX with any browser.
You can listen to SPOTIFY with any browser and that makes it independent of the Operating System.