For some years now, rankings have been made on the best Linux distributions of the year. They are usually done by categories, since it would not be fair to just make a list. Each distribution has its scope of action and therefore we must know how to separate them. Here you will see the list of the best distributions of this year separated according to the category to which they belong:
- Our desktop distributions are those specially designed for desktop computers. The best is undoubtedly Ubuntu, followed perhaps by Fedora and Linux Mint.
- Distributions special for laptops, give as a winner Fubuntu, with improvements of up to 30% in battery consumption compared to other distributions.
- We continue with the company distros, in which Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) stands out and on its heels we have SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED).
- Within the distributions with special focus on company servers, master RHEL and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES).
- If what we want is a security domain First of all, we can count on distributions that have a security-focused development emphasis. Among them we highlight Backtrack and Backbox, although there are more competitors like Lightweight Portable Security.
- On the other hand, if ours is the multimedia world, we will have to monitor environments such as ArchLinux that has thousands of software packages. ZevenOS would be another interesting option, although not so much.
- For the most gamers, we also have a special for distributions with better benefits in video games. Ever since the world of digital entertainment has turned upside down from pampering Windows to spitting in its face with the latest news about it, Linux seems to be a good gaming platform now. In this field, the Ubuntu experience stands out.
- And I add this category, because I think it is very interesting in these times. It's all about the systems for mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.) based on Linux. Among these I would highlight Android above all, in addition to mentioning others that have been sounding a lot lately like Tizen and Firefox OS.
- Since we are here, why not also mention the most outstanding distributions of our land (“swordsmen”), Which not many people know. Among the national we can emphasize triskele (Galicia), Guadalinex (Andalusia), GNULinex (Extremadura), Asturix (Asturias), Lliurex (Valencia), MoLinux (Castilla La Mancha), MAX (Madrid) and Linkat (Catalonia). But there are more: GALPonMiniNo, ASLinux, melinux, Wifislax, Zentyal, Càtix, kademar, Molinux Zero, etc.
- Finally and adding a note of humor, I would also like to add THE MOST RARE LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS. Little is said about them, but judge for yourself: Hanna Montana Linux, Ubuntu SatanicEdition, Ubuntu Christian Edition or Ubuntu ME, Helal Linux, Jewbuntu,… in short, no comments.
And which one do you prefer? At the end of the day it is a matter of taste, it is not worth making a ranking if each of us has our own opinion and we are already "in love" with any of these distros. But it can be interesting for those who "come from abroad" and have not tried Linux yet.
Source - Linux.com