It is probably not the first or the last time that we mention that it is not the first time nor will it be the last that you read news like this. And it is that, in my opinion, if Arne Exton is famous for something, it is for doing things, let's say, being daring or simply ahead of time. That's what he has done again: at the end of January He launched ExTiX 20.2, the latest version of what he calls "the ultimate operating system." And again it has done it based on an operating system that has not yet reached its stable version.
In fact, ExTiX 20.2 is based on an operating system that has not yet reached its beta version. We are talking about Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa, the version of Canonical's operating system that will be released on April 23, 2020. Therefore, ExTiX 20.2 is based on the Ubuntu Daily Builds. The aforementioned beta will arrive in mid-March. Below you have a list of the most outstanding novelties that have arrived together with this latest installment of the «Definitive Operating System».
ExTiX 20.2 Highlights
ExTiX 20.2, which is the version that happens to ExTiX 19.10, comes with these news.
- Linux 5.5.0-rc7-exton, which is a proprietary version of the latest Linux 5.5 Release Candidate.
- Plasma graphical environment.
- Google Chrome has been removed to keep Firefox.
- New packages, such as GParted, Brasero, and GCC.
- Other packages such as Refracta Snapshot have been updated.
- Squid as an installer, which replaces Ubiquity.
- NVIDIA 440.44 drivers, patched for Linux 5.5, installed by default.
- Speed has been improved on computers with at least 4GB of RAM.
Users interested in using ExTiX 20.2, although we remember that it is based on software that is still two months from its launch, can download its ISO image from this link.