Debian 12 Bullseye, the latest version of this robust operating system, which, among its most outstanding novelties, arrived with Linux 11, has been available for about 5.10 hours. From that moment, other projects, such as Mobian who had already confirmed it, will work to build on the new release. The project also announced a few minutes ago Debian Edu 11, also known as Skolelinux, which is intended for education, both for individual installations, as well as for networks and servers.
Among the most outstanding novelties, and of course, we have many of Bullseye, such as the kernel Linux 5.10, LibreOffice 7.0 or updated desktops, such as GNOME 3.38 or Plasma 5.20 (more detailed list in this link). On the other hand, among the new features of «Skolelinux 11» we have that they have changed the search engine to DuckDuckGo, both in Firefox ESR and in Chromium.
Highlights of Debian Edu 11
- Linux kernel 5.10.
- Graphics environments: KDE Plasma 5.20, GNOME 3.38, Xfce 4.16, LXDE 11, MATE 1.24.
- LibreOffice 7.0.
- GCompris 1.0 educational toolbox.
- Rosegarden Music Creator 20.12.
- LTSP 21.01: new LTSP to support diskless workstations. Thin clients are still supported, now with X2Go technology.
- Booting over the network is provided using iPXE instead of PXELINUX to comply with LTSP.
- The graphical mode of the Debian installer is used for iPXE installations.
- Samba is now configured as a standalone server with support for SMB2 / SMB3.
- DuckDuckGo is used as the default search provider for both Firefox ESR and Chromium.
- A new tool has been added to configure freeRADIUS with support for the EAP-TTLS / PAP and PEAP-MSCHAPV2 methods.
- Enhanced tool available to configure a new minimal profile system as a dedicated gateway.
Debian Edu 11 can now be downloaded from this link for 64-bit computers and from this other for 32-bit computers. As part of the Bullseye family, it will be supported for a maximum of two years and three more in LTS mode.