A Low-Code development platform is one that uses graphical wizards to create and build software instead of the traditional approach of writing sequential instructions using a programming language.
In this article we use the term Low-Code in a broad sense, when strictly speaking, there are two types of platforms:
- Low-Code platforms require the writing of a minimal amount of code to assemble the components.
- No-Code platforms do not require any code to create or modify the software.
Let's start by clarifying that this type of platform is not aimed at the domestic user but at the «Citizen developer»
A citizen developer (Citizen developer) is a corporate user who wants to develop their own applications internally, but does not have prior technical or coding knowledge.
Table of Contents
How Low-code Development Platforms Work
LDevelopers only have to find the components in the explorer, drag and drop them and establish the logical relationship between them.
- They allow the use of visual modeling instead of code writing reducing development time.
- The user builds the application by dragging and dropping pre-made components.
- Implementation of the life cycle model allowing the introduction of updates to the application.
- Creation of applications compatible with desktop computers and mobile devices.
- Easy stability to extend the use of the application from a prototype to its deployment throughout the company.
Whether it is the creation of applications by individual users for their own application or for large organizations, the benefits of these types of applications are:
- Lower learning curve than the traditional method.
- Easy development tools that include a simple integrated development environment that supports drag and drop, a rich component library, and configuration tools that focus the developer on application logic and presentation.
- Built-in required building blocks: authentication, data source management, user and identity management, file management and processing, and configuration manager.
- Decrease in development times and costs.
Open source tools for building applications with little or no coding
This tool, is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
The developers promise access to all the capabilities needed to create sophisticated, robust and scalable cloud solutions. The program works with all common database types and is accessible through all common browsers and devices.
The program incorporates a set of open source technologies to handle persistence, rich user interface, security, navigation, reports, jobs, content, spatial and mobile integration.
This platform Low-code has a web-based editor that supports multiple data sources out of the box. It is ideal for novice users as it requires no prior technical or coding knowledge. It is available in three versions. A free one with all the functionalities that the user can install on their own server, a limited one also free on official servers or a complete one also hosted on official servers for € 50 per month.
Other platform aimed at the business environment that seeks to help developers and decision makers to create business applications when they are needed. In this case they focus on internal use. It contains all the necessary elements to connect to tables, views, forms and data sources,
En this case is an open source web tool for managing and creating databases. It requires no prior coding knowledge or advanced technical knowledge. It has a friendly interface that allows you to create and manage multiple databases, users, and user groups. It includes search and filter functions and the ability to import images.
I was looking for open source alternatives for creating Low-code applications aimed at the home user, but so far I was not able to find them. If you know of any, I would appreciate it if you tell me in the comment form.