The market share of operating systems on the desktop, on mobile devices, in the mainframe sector, or servers and supercomputing is quite well known, we have already covered these topics in previous LxA articles. However, what about the segment of Smart TV operating systems?
What is the most used of all? Here you can find out, but I already tell you one thing, here too master Linux, since many of the operating systems used in these Smart TVs are based on the open source kernel. Let's see all the details:
- Tizenes It is the most used operating system in this sector, with a 12.7% share. This system is used by the Samsung brand in its Smart TVs.
- It follows WebOS, the system chosen by LG, with 7.3%.
- Then there would be a triple tie with a 6.4% share for Roku TV OS, Amazon Fire OS, and Sony Orbis OS (PlayStation). In the case of Roku and FireOS, Linux kernel is used, in fact, Amazon's system is based on Android. Not so on Sony's OS, which is based on FreeBSD.
- Surprisingly, the next most used is Android TV, with a 5.9% share. Many would say that it would be among the top positions, but it is not like that ...
- The operating system of the Xbox is the following. It is a system based on Windows 10 (Windows NT kernel), and it reaches a share of 3.7%.
- chromecast it is the next most used, with 3.1%. In this case there is also a Linux kernel, since it is a simplified ChromeOS, according to Google.
- The next in contention is Apple tv OS, a XNU, with a 2.7% share.
- Later would come Firefox OS, used by 1.6 ″ of the gadgets, with Linux kernel as well.
- The remaining 43.9% is made up of an agglomerate of other operating systems, mostly also based on Linux (MeeGo, Ubuntu TV, Huawei HarmonyOS, Xiaomi PatchWall,…).