Loodse GmbH, a Kubernetes startup with a notable role in the open source ecosystem, changed its name to Kubermatic and released a new version of your automation platform infrastructure under an open source license.
For those who still do not know Kubernetes, you should know that this is the framework for managing software container clusters in the enterprise so that applications can run in a variety of computing environments.
It was released by Google in 2014 as an open source project to which Germany-based Kubermatic, which launched in 2016, is one of the largest contributors. It claims to be one of the "top five corporate commitments" along with VMware Inc., Microsoft Corp., IBM Corp.'s Red Hat and Google itself.
The Kubermatic platform The company's flagship Kubernetes as of this morning is available under a free Apache 2.0 license.
Software provides a management interface unified to manage Kubernetes clusters on Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and on-premises infrastructure. It is used by companies like Daimler AG, ISPs and others that the German startup claims see a reduction of up to 72% in "operating costs associated with Kubernetes architectures."
“Now that we are open source Kubermatic, we also think that people should understand our vision and what our DNA is. It's Kubernetes automation, helping our customers really save money on Kubernetes operations by automating as much as possible at the operation level, so our users can really focus on building new applications. "
The Kubermatic Kubernetes platform takes a few minutes to install on a company's infrastructure. Once everything is installed, administrators can start using the software to scale their cluster based on application demand, create new clusters, and implement data protection configurations.
The Open Source platform Kubermatic Kubernetes offers:
- HA Kubernetes self-healing on Kubernetes CRD-based Kubernetes architecture and operators for simplified management
- Automated lifecycle management with integrated cluster provisioning, scaling, updating, and cleaning with just one API call
- Multi-user and user management with preset environments for different organizational units
- Identity and SSH key management
- Cluster Models, Presets, and Plugins for Governance and Policy Enforcement
- Automated multi-cluster and multi-cloud backup handling with customizable backup locations
- Infrastructure logging and monitoring with built-in Prometheus and Grafana
- Central self-service portal across multiple clusters, multiple clouds, and multiple regions to bring Kubernetes-as-a-Service to market quickly
- Free choice of infrastructure stack with native support from all major cloud providers, including AWS, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure, as well as OpenStack and VMware vSphere environments
- Centralized management of containerized and virtualized applications with native KubeVirt integration
- Containerized user cluster control plane with autoscaling of control plane components
Platform has a high availability mode that enables Kubernetes environments to recover from outages automatically.
For companies running large deployments with many components to manage, the platform provides automation capabilities to facilitate certain maintenance tasks.
Administrators can create policies to ensure that your Kubernetes configuration meets internal security requirements. Users who need more advanced security features can also connect the platform to external tools such as Active Directory, Microsoft's widely used identity management platform.
Kubermatic argues that making software more accessible by offering it for free will help address a growing need in the marketplace.
"After a decade of centralized cloud computing, the industry is at the beginning of the next decentralized computing cycle, now on the edge," said CEO Sebastian Scheele. "Edge will only succeed with complete automation of infrastructure and applications."
Adding a new automation solution to the open source tools ecosystem around Kubernetes will ultimately strengthen the business appeal of the framework itself.