It became known the launch of the new version of the mobile platform KDE Plasma Mobile 22.04 based on the mobile edition of the Plasma 5 desktop, the KDE Frameworks 5 libraries, the ModemManager phone stack, and the Telepathy communication framework.
Plasma Mobile uses the kwin_wayland composite server to display graphics and PulseAudio for sound processing. Simultaneously, the release of the Plasma Mobile Gear 22.04 suite of mobile applications, which is formed by analogy with the KDE Gear suite, has been prepared.
KDE Plasma Mobile 22.04 Key New Features
This new release of the KDE Plasma Mobile 22.04 mobile shell carries over the changes developed in the KDE Plasma 5.25 branch, which is expected to be released on June 14.
One of the most notable changes that we can find in this new version of KDE Plasma Mobile 22.04 is, for example in the interface to switch between applications running (Task Switcher), animation when activating and minimizing applications has been improved, plus added the ability to sort running apps in the order they were opened, not just alphabetical.
Another change that stands out is the improved adaptation to the screen width in the task bar, since the navigation bar is configured to turn off transparency when the on-screen keyboard is opened, but not other shell windows.
Besides that, added the ability to call a truncated version of the quick settings panel dropdown (Drawer Actions) when the screen is locked, the expected closing of the panel when touching the empty outer area, plus support for rearranging shell settings was provided. Improved animation when clicking quick settings buttons.
It is also noted that the added ability to switch between home screen implementationsAlthough no new home screen types have been added, the KDE Store will provide alternative home screen options for KDE Plasma Mobile.
On the basic home screen, added animation to increase and decrease icons of applications when the user interacts with them. The app title text is now bold for better readability.
Media player supports parallel streams (multiple applications can output sound at the same time), the design of the module for configuring the parameters of cellular networks has been updated in the configurator.
In the interface to make calls (Plasma Dialer) changed to use the background process callaudiod developed by the Mobian project, which made it possible to get rid of the sound drivers themselves (developed by KDE) and ensure the use of common code for different devices and distributions.
On the other hand, it is noted that added support for running in the background of Flatpak portals to the clock widget, which allows you to automatically start the kclockd process in sandbox isolation mode and that in Tokodon, a client for the decentralized microblogging platform Mastodon, the output of all available user profile information is provided.
Of the other changes that stand out from this new version:
- Added support for blocking, muting, and following other users.
- The account selection interface and sidebar have been redesigned.
- Improved interface of Spacebar, a program for sending SMS/MMS.
- The top bar, app navigation, and attachment management interface have been redesigned.
- Added notification settings to hide message sender and content when displaying notifications during screen lock.
- Added the ability to select an active phone number for address book entries that have multiple numbers associated with them.
- Added support for following links when viewing messages.
- Improved page to configure APN.
- Improved work of the Kalendar calendar scheduler.
- Work continued on the client for the Nextcloud Talk communication system, which implements most of the chat room APIs.
Finally, if you are interested in knowing more about it you can check the details In the following link.