Do you want install Popcorn Time? The program is available for multiple platforms, including Linux, and in this post we will explain how to install it on your distro step by step in a simple way. For those who do not know this Argentine project, it is an open source media player app. It was thought as an alternative to video transmission services (video streaming) such as the famous Netflix that is so fashionable ... but using the torrent protocol. It works in a similar way to Spotify in terms of copyright, but with video.
Quickly Popcorn Time became popular and unexpectedly, in was discontinued its development in 2014 and the original developers did not continue to develop it, but the project has continued to be developed through a fork. Popcorn CE or Community Edition is the reincarnation of the missing app and it continues to be updated today thanks to the community developments that are responsible for its maintenance.
Tutorial to install Popcorn Time
Installing Popcorn Time CE can be done by following the steps below:
- Download the package from the official website.
- Now already We will have it in the Downloads directory (or wherever), it is a tarball. We must first go to this directory from the console:
- We unpack the tarball, replace the X, Y, Z, VV with the numeric code corresponding to the version you have downloaded:
tar Jxvf Popcorn-Time-x.y.z-linux-vv.tar.xz
- We install PopCorn-Time CE, first we enter the directory created after decompression:
cd Popcorn-Time-x.y.z-linux-vv ./install
- Installation will begin and it may ask us if we accept the license, for which it is enough to write «i agree» without quotation marks and continue ...
Now you can now search the app in the launcher or between the programs of your distro, or start it directly from the console by typing:
If you have had any questions or problems installing Popcorn Time on your Linux computer, leave us a comment.