At LxA we have been talking a lot about video games for LinuxYou already know that they have grown enormously in number in recent years and there are already more than 5000 titles available on Steam, among other online stores for gamers. Well, today we are going to continue with this topic in this article, but seen from a somewhat different point of view. In the past we did a post about the best video games available for Linux ...
Now it's time to do this other in which we commit ourselves even more to the software philosophy that we love so much and we are going to offer a list with the best videogames for Linux, but which are also open source or free. Thus, players will be able to enjoy the entertainment that these titles provide without "sinning" and using proprietary software like most of the video games we find today.
Well here we go with this list of the best open source video games:
- 0 ad.: An acquaintance of this blog, since we have talked on several occasions about this real-time strategist video game based on Age of Empires and that I have had the pleasure of trying.
- CoreRED: Alien Arena: is a multiplayer first person shooter video game with some touches of Quake and Unreal Tournament.
- Armagetron Advanced- For fans of Tron, here comes this multiplayer and 3D video game.
- battle for westnoth: is a turn-based strategy video game, for those of you who like this genre.
- Dungeon crawl stone soup: or also DCSS is a roguelike or dungeon exploration video game that you will like.
- FreeCiv: is a clone of the famous strategy video game Civilization II that allows you to play in single-player and multiplayer.
- Hedgewars: In this case, it is a clone of Worms, the famous worm video game that has been so successful, and the truth is that this turn-based artillery game is worth it ...
- MegaGlist- Real-time strategy video game that emphasizes great battles and epic adventures.
- Twink: If you like Minecraft-type exploration and construction video games, you will like this video game that we already talked about in LxA.
- openra: another one we have met on this blog. It is a real-time strategy video game in the purest style of Age of Empires, Warcraft and Command & Conquer. Specifically, it is a re-implementation of Red Alert.
- OpenRCT2: Does RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 sound familiar to you? It is a simulator where you will have to create and manage amusement parks. Another one that we already talked about in LxA ...
- OpenTTD: we continue with the Tycoon, in this case, a business simulator where you can manage your company and make a profit.
- sauerbraten: behind this strange name is the first and best first-person shooter video game (single and multiplayer). Similar to titles like Assault Cube or Urban Terror.
- Super Tux Kart: if you like Mario Kart, and we change Mario for the nice Tux ... the result is this racing video game.
- Pingus: It is a classic and I think words are unnecessary, so I can say little about this title inspired by the Lemmings.
- Teeworlds: a 2D shooter with similarities to video games like Mario Bros ... that is, platforms.
- Dark Mod: is a first person video game based on a dark and fantastic world in the Thief style.
- The Saga of Ryzom: a unique and dynamic world in which to fight and live numerous adventures, with a fairly good quality ...
- Warsaw- Another shooter inspired by Quake, but focused on speed and movement.
- xonotic: and we end with another Unreal Tournament style shooter, with 16 weapons to choose from and numerous battles in which to have fun ...
There are more, and I invite you to leave comments with more of these titles if you know them ...