There are many Linux distributions that release a major operating system and a version designed for education. The last distribution to reach the classrooms is Zorin OS 15 Education, the school version of a Zorin OS 15 that was released begining of June. The "Education" version of this operating system includes all the new features of the normal one, among which we have Linux kernels 4.18 and GNOME 3.30 that are not the most current, but for a reason.
Like the version released in June, Zorin OS 15 Education is based on Ubuntu 18.04.2, the latest LTS version of Canonical's system, although to be fair the most up-to-date is v18.04.3. That is the reason why both versions of Zorin use somewhat older components, preferring Long Term Support versions which, in the case of the operating system, will be supported until 2023. Here are the rest of the highlights of Zorin OS 15 Education .
Zorin OS 15 Education Highlights
- Based on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS with Hardware Enablement (HWE).
- Linux 4.18.
- Support for color emojis.
- Firefox becomes the new default browser.
- Evolution has been included.
- New system font.
- New look on wallpapers and splash screen.
- New customization settings for the taskbar and Zorin menu in the Zorin skin panel tab.
- The Zorin menu opens with the META key by default.
- Wayland preview.
- Support for Thunderbolt 3.
- Captive network portal detection.
- Possibility of batch renaming in the file manager.
- NVIDIA drivers available from ISO.
- Improved performance.
- New theme, including an automatic one that goes from light to dark throughout the day.
- Support for touch screens.
- Updated apps.
- Support for Snap and Flatpak packages.
- Do Not Disturb mode.
- App To Do included.
- Zorin Connect, based on KDE Connect and GSConnect.
The Zorin OS 15 Education ISO image is available from here!.