Looks like things are back to normal at WineHQ. After a few weeks in which they had conferences and Christmas vacations, WINE 8.0-rc4 has arrived seven days after the rc3. This is how it should be during this phase of development, a new Release Candidate a week until the stable version is released. After that, back to the start, with a development release every two weeks to prepare for the 2024 stable release.
As outstanding novelties, in this phase none is indicated, limiting itself to saying in that section that we are in the freezing of the code. But they do provide a list with the bugs fixed, and this week 25 bugs have been patched whose list you have below.
Table of Contents
Bugs fixed in WINE 8.0-rc4
- Catia (CAD software) refuses to run install on latest wine (<=4.18).
- Assembler messages: Error: No such instruction: `xsavec (%esp)'.
- Any action that locks the cursor within the Roblox client window causes the cursor to freeze.
- Running any program in Wine causes 100% cpu usage in Xorg.
- d2d1:d2d1 fails test_draw_geometry() in Wine.
- comctl32:edit gets unexpected heights in test_text_position_style() on Windows 10 1809+.
- Guild Wars: Unable to log in.
- GetNetworkParams loops forever in musl.
- winetricks dotnet35sp1: printfilterpipelinesvc.exe crashes in the background.
- comctl32:edit & user32:edit fail test_char_from_pos() on Windows with UTF-8 encoding.
- mstask:task_trigger – test_GetNextRunTime() fails in Wine when changing the date.
- Slow rendering when connected to an external monitor.
- ntdll:rtl – 32-bit RtlUlonglongByteSwap() breaks test_RtlDecompressBuffer() on Windows.
- The reimplementation of FindNLSStringEx does not match the native one.
- Objects are not rendered in DX10/11 applications with older GPU drivers.
- HS_hevo_gc 18.104.22.168 is not installed..
- ntdll:rtl - test_RtlIpv6StringToAddress() fails on Windows 11.
- xactengine3_7:xact3 crashes when no speaker is connected.
- ddraw:ddraw1, ddraw:ddraw2, ddraw:ddraw4, ddraw:ddraw7 – test_window_position() gets the wrong screen size in Wine.
- Petz 4 has corrupted .pet files on startup.
- Wine fails to compile with Linux 4.11 headers (use of undefined AT_HWCAP2).
- Using RTLD_SELF breaks musl compilation since 8.0-rc1.
- 7.22 build fails with mingw-w64 10.0.
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 crashes on exit on xactengine notification call.
- wineconsole: alternate display buffer not working.
WINE 8.0 will arrive in early 2023
WINE 8.0-rc4 available from this link. In the download page there is information on how to install this and other versions on operating systems such as Debian and Ubuntu, but it can also be installed on Android and macOS.
As for the stable version, it will arrive at the beginning of 2023, but it is not clear if it will be at the end of January or at the beginning/mid of February. When they decide to deliver it to us, they will start preparing the 2024 version, releasing a new development version every two weeks.
A comment, leave yours
A delicacy of Reverse Engineering -> Wine