WineHQ launched a few hours ago WINE 7.21, which should be the latest development version of those released every two weeks. I say “should”, because while it is true that this is the plan, it is also true that in previous years there has been a point-twenty-two and even a point-twenty-three. Without going any further, last year threw WINE 6.23 before starting weekly Release Candidate releases.
But today's news is the release of WINE 7.21. From this landing, WineHQ has highlighted that OpenGP library has been converted to PE, support for multi-architecture in PE builds, more prep work for Vulkan 32-in-64 support, support for creating win dlltool import libraries, updates to locale data, and various bug fixes. In total, WINE 7.21 has made 344 changes.
Bugs fixed in WINE 7.21
WineHQ says that 25 bugs have been fixed:
- StarBurn 13 crashes when disabling photoBiz X skins – Fatal error on startup.
- Visual Studio msvsmon fails to bind server socket in child processes.
- Kaseya Live Connect management software subcomponent 188.8.131.52 crashes.
- Modo Retina roto desde 7f7f9fa22c5cbe629e79a54257d5bd21403e80db.
- Euphoria - Freezes every second while controllers are connected.
- SetWindowPos() incorrectly calculates the exposure region of the parent window with WS_EX_COMPOSITED.
- dxgi:dxgi times out on the debiant VM.
- GetFileInformationByHandleEx() is not fully implemented, causing crashes in boost::directory_iterator with boost v1.79 and later.
- The first intro stops at the last frame in several games (Darksiders Genesis, The Medium).
- Imaris fails on exit with error, and keeps a process running.
- Multiple 64-bit applications have issues with dialogs (DipTrace, foobar2000 installer).
- vbscript cannot exec_script - invalid number of arguments to Randomize.
- Cherry MIDI sequencer cannot read files with a path that includes CJK characters.
- Hotel Giant 2 - Black screen after changing resolution or turning on anti-aliasing.
- Winfile crashes due to missing implementation of user32.dll.DragObject.
- Port Royale 2: Incomplete text rendering.
- Apiset DLLs break in non-PE versions.
- Wine 7.20 installs some Windows files in the wrong location.
- Hades displays a black screen in Vulkan mode.
- Non-PE builds fail after "makefiles: Add support for multiple PE architectures".
- Adobe Reader XI crashes when opening settings in protected mode.
- Gothic 1 does not start (msdbi.dll does not initialize).
- vbscript does not allow Mid on non VT_BSTR.
- ws2_32:sock – test_WSASocket() gets an unexpected raw protocol name in French on Windows.
WINE 7.21 available from this link. In the download page there is information on how to install this and other versions on operating systems such as Debian and Ubuntu, but it can also be installed on Android and macOS.
La next version should be the first RC of WINE 8.0, and should arrive on November 25. This phase of development will outline the final touches to prepare for the release of the stable version of WINE 8.0, scheduled for early 2023. If they release another bi-weekly version, they will deliver WINE 7.22 with hundreds of other tweaks.