When a certain politician said that hethe only truth is reality, He did not imagine that several decades later we could ask him which of them he was referring to. Without getting into philosophical and psychological discussions, Technology offers us two more alternatives to what our naked eyes see; the virtual and the augmented.
Reports from the Celestial Empire assure that to the December holidays, the day of the beginning of classes and the national holidays, we will have to add another milestone to the annual calendar, the start date of the quarantine.
I hope it doesn't happen, but if they were right Virtual, augmented and both combined reality content could be of great help to cope with the psychological and economic consequences of isolation.
For example, countries that live off tourism could offer virtual travel experiences or large fashion stores display their products in a more comprehensive way. Also, it could be very useful for distance learning.
It is true that Most of this technology still has a high cost to go massive, but the use of open source projects can help make it more accessible. In this post I am going to comment on one of them, OpenSpace3D. This tool available for Windows allows to produce content also for other platforms such as Linux and mobile devices.
Is an open source virtual reality development platform designed to build rich virtual reality experience applications and games powered by virtual reality
Virtual and augmented reality. Basic concepts
- Virtual Reality consists of a computer-generated environment in which 3D motion graphics are simulated that appear realistic from the user's perspective. A helmet-sized device with a screen placed in front of the eyes is used to project this environment.
- The augmented reality incorporates computer-generated elements into the real world. These can be 3D models, text, video, or audio.
There are those who also speak of combined reality in which virtual reality is mixed in real time with the real world.
It is a platform designed for the creation of virtual and augmented reality games and applications. Its stated purpose is to democratize real-time 3D applications and provide a tool for all creative minds, not just developers.
- Native support for virtual reality and motion detection devices, both commercial and open source. Some of them are, for example, Leap Motion for the detection of hand movements, the Myo bracelet for the recognition of gestures, the Neurosky headphones for concentration and meditation, Emotiv Epoc for monitoring EEG signals, Nonin Oxymeter for rhythm measurement. cardiac, HT1C Vive, Oculus and Vuzix for virtual reality applications or Tobii EyeX for eye tracking. Also, we can use any Arduino compatible device and any VRPN compatible device and tracking system.
- Work with two augmented reality techniques. Feature marker detection allows an image to be detected on camera, while Aruco reference marker detection makes it easy to make quick applications with multiple markers and also use them as a tangible interface.
- The scene editor allows you to import 3D models in more than 40 formats, Once imported it is possible to add, clone, move objects and define parameters such as physical behavior or animations. Results can be exported to 3DS MAX, Blender, Maya and Cinema 4D
- Has a collection of more than 160 preprogrammed functionss that can be combined to crear applications without coding.
- It has support for multimedia content for creating immersive environments with spatialized textures of 3D audio and video content.
- Uses Newton Dynamic's physics simulation engine to recreate the consequences of things like mass, rebound coefficient, acceleration, restraints, and vehicle movements.
- Allows creating multi-user applications and multi-device.
The applications created can be used on Windows, LInux, Raspberry Pi, Mac, Android and iOS, although not all features will be available on all platforms.