It is done Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf by Canonical And although much has been said about it in numerous articles, perhaps there are some new implementations that this version brings us that you should know about. Little by little users will become more familiar with this new version of the distro, but to give you an idea of the news, we present 9 features you should know about Ubuntu 15.10.
Canonical has worked on this version of Ubuntu to have the Final Release at the level of what was expected, and although I do not enter into judging if it is one of the best releases or not, by the quality leap or new features Given compared to previous versions, it is true that it brings some interesting things. I hope that the long-awaited convergence will also come in future versions and will not be delayed any more than it has already been delayed ...
The 9 most outstanding news are:
- Linux 4.2: the new kernel is already being used in Ubuntu 15.10 with a lot of improvements, bug fixes, and better support for the new AMD GPUs. Also with other news and improvements in the handling of NCQ TRIM, F2FS encryption, new controllers, etc.
- Unity 7.3.2: The new version of the desktop brings small usability improvements, bug fixes, button effects, menu fixes, and certain new features in Dash.
- GNOME 3.16 Apps: the included GNOME package pack has been updated to version 3.16.x with some improvements implemented. The terminal has been improved, although some apps like Gedit and Nautilus have remained in version 3.10 and 3.14 respectively.
- GNOME scroll bars: now the scroll bars of the windows are superimposed, which we had already seen, but it is worth remembering this "novelty" compared to past versions in which they were not always in view and were hidden.
- UbuntuMaker: a command line utility to download the latest version of popular developer tools to make life easier for developers. In addition, it now supports more platforms, new frameworks and services, full Android development environments, etc.
- New network device names: wlan0, eth0, eth1, ... are a thing of the past, now they will offer new and more complete network device names.
- Steam Controller Controller: we already show how build our own Steam Machine and we talk about the Valve controller, because Ubuntu 15.10 will include native support for this spectacular video game controller
- New desktop background: brings new default wallpaper and other new backgrounds to our desktop.
- Updated apps: Some of the apps or programs that come pre-installed with Ubuntu 15.10 have been updated to newer versions. Some examples are Firefox 41, Chrome 45, LibreOffice 5.0.2, Totem 3.16, Nautilus 3.14.2, Rhythmbox 3.2.1, Terminal 3.16, Shotwell 0.22, Empaty, ...