As we always say when we have to talk about mobiles and tablets, it is a world dominated by iOS and Android. This has been the case in the last decade mainly because they have two large application stores, the Google Play and the App Store, where developers can deliver the best apps for touch devices. But the truth is that, stores aside, in recent months we are reading news that gives hope to those of us who would like to enjoy interesting Linux tablets and mobiles such as the PinePhone or the pinetab.
The PinePhones, available from the beginning of this year, these are Pine64 phones with slightly different specs. They are not focusing on the best cameras or the best internals, but on ones that will make the team work perfectly with a mobile Linux operating system. The PineTab will follow the same philosophy and everything is ready for us to book it at the end of this month. Without a doubt, the best will be its price, well below even the most discreet Android tablet.
PineTab Technical Specifications
As we read in its Official Site, we cannot reserve it yet, but we can know its technical specifications:
- Default operating system: Ubuntu Touch
- Allwinner A64 Quad Core SOC with Mali 400 MP2 GPU.
- 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM.
- 10 ″ MiPi 720p capacitive LCD screen.
- Micro SD card slot from where the operating system can be started.
- 64GB of eMMC.
- HD digital video output.
- USB 2.0A
- Micro USB 2.0 OTG
- 2Mpx front camera.
- 5Mpx main or rear camera.
- Optional M.2 slot.
- Speakers and microphone.
- Volume buttons and «Home» button.
- Keyboard that can be attached magnetically (optional).
- 6000mAh battery.
- 3.5 ″ Barrel Power port (5V 3A).
- Multiple expansion boards for LTE, LoRa and SATA SSD.
- Price of $ 100 that will translate into € 100 in countries like Spain, to which shipping costs will have to be added (about € 9 more).
Personally, I think it is a very interesting device, like the PinePhone, but, unlike the phone, we can take advantage of its screen for much more. But yes it's really interesting it's for its price, one that is likely to make a server end up a happy PineTab possessor. Do you think the same?