Shirt is a standalone Linux distribution which includes the latest version of the KDE Plasma desktop environment and other popular software programs that use the Qt toolkit.
It was originally based on Arch Linux, but since April 2013, developers started creating their own packages, which are now available from Kaos' own warehouse. KaOS uses a Rolling Relase release development model and is only available for 64-bit systems.
Recently KaOS developers announced the availability of a new update. A new ISO is available for download, this new update version arrives as KaOS 2018.10.
This new update version It comes with the latest version of the KDE Plasma desktop environment which is version 5.14 jAlong with all the latest updates to the software that makes up this environment.
Another novelty that we can find in this update of KaOS lBequeathed with the Wayland server in version 1.16.
This version includes a new display settings widget for screen management that is useful for presentations.
The audio volume widget now has a built-in speaker test feature that is moved from the Phonon settings.
The KDE Plasma desktop environment now warns about logging out when other users are online.
We found also glibc version 2.27 and GCC 7.3.1, this new KaOS update implements the Linux kernel version 4.18.12.
On the video graphics side, we find the latest version of the Mesa 18.2.2 drivers and many other package updates.
It is important to mention that in this new version of KaOS 2018.10 removed QT4.
Other work on KaOS 2018.10 includes improvements to its first-run experience, the XFS file system is now used by default on the system, and has CRC support.
Systemd-boot is enabled for UEFI installations as well as the Calamares installer was updated.
Of the most notable changes that we can highlight in this new update we find:
- The Calamares installation frame used has been moved to the 3.2 series. As well as the highlights of the changes and additions.
- The partition module supports RAID devices, but only when Calamares is compiled with the latest version of KPMCore.
- The keyboard module now handles the Austrian (dummy) keymap for the system console correctly.
- Fixed various off-by-one-sector bugs in auto partition mode. Also, the swap space is calculated a bit more conservatively.
- The search paths for QML files, brand descriptors, and module descriptors have been revamped and are now self-documenting in the registry.
- Non-centralized task switches in Wayland and in the Kickoff app menu now change guides instantly on mouse over.
Download KaOS 2018.10
Finally, if you don't have KaOS installed on your computer yet and you want to download and install this distribution of Linux focused on the KDE desktop environment on your computer or you want to test it under a virtual machine.
All you have to do is go to the official website of the distribution and in its download section you can obtain the image of the system. The link is this.
The downloaded image can be recorded on a USB device with the help of the Etcher application.
Si You are already a KaOS user, you should have received these updates in the last few days. But if you don't know if you already have them installed, just open a terminal and run the following commands in it:
sudo pacman -Syuu
Finally, you must accept the updates if they exist and I recommend restarting your computer.
To check the version of the Kernel that you have and that it is the most current of the system which must be version 4.18.22 in the terminal you execute: