Long before the internet and social media, magazine readers' mail was almost the only form of interactivity with the media. General interest magazines (particularly those aimed at female audiences) assigned someone from the newsroom to answer questions They ranged from topics on how to remove a sauce stain from a tie to what to do in serious cases of domestic violence. To safeguard the privacy of the senders, they were assigned a pseudonym.
Whether the person responding knew anything about what they answered is doubtful, but, Given the great popularity of these types of sections, we decided to recreate them in a linux code.
The Linux OfficeAdictos, Answers to our readers
My boyfriend and I love to film each other making love and I like to relive those moments alone. But, I lend him my phone and I share a computer with my young children and they were on the verge of finding those videos several times. What I can do?
The naughty mom.
Dear Naughty Mom:
We advise you to make sure that the recording is saved on the microSD card and not on the device memory. As soon as you have the opportunity, transfer the content to your computer and erase the traces (with the phone connected to the computer) using the command
shred -u -z -n 20 directorio archivo/nombre archivo
- -u Permanently remove the file after it has been overwritten.
- -z Fill the file space with zeros to hide the delete procedure.
- -n Write to the file the specified number of times. In the example, 20.
Regarding the protection of videos on the computer, we suggest you to use peazip. A tool that allows you to compress them and assign them a password for decompression.
PeaZip can be installed in FlatPak format with the command:
flatpak install flathub io.github.peazip.PeaZip
Dear Linux Friends, Addicts
I asked the wise men for a Slimbook but they brought me a Chromebook. Is there a way to transform it into a Linux notebook?
The dissatisfied child
Dear dissatisfied child
First of all, find out if your Chromebook model is ready to install Linux applications, since the latest versions have that capacity.
Now if you want to remove ChromeOS and install a Linux distribution, there is a tool called Crouton.
The first thing you should do is download a utility called Chromebook Recovery Utility from the app store and follow the instructions to create an operating system recovery media.
Then turn off the equipment and turn it on again by simultaneously pressing the ESC + F3 and POWER keys.
Follow the instructions from the project page to know how the installation is done.
One more query
Lords of LinuxAddicts
My dad loves to watch movies but he is very short-sighted and needs full-size subtitles. Is there a way that I can insert the subtitles to the videos in a suitable format for it and that I just have to press Play?
The son of Mr Magoo
Dear son of Mr Magoo
El VLC video player, available in the repositories of all Linux distributions, is an excellent tool for embedding subtitles in the format you need.
The procedure is the next:
- Open the player and select Tools / Preferences / Subtitles / OSD
- Select the typeface, font size, and text and background colors. Check the box to add a background
- Click Save and close the player for the changes to take effect.
- Open the player and tap on Media / Convert.
- Add the video by clicking Add and check the box that will allow you to add the subtitle file.
- Click on Convert / Save
- Click on the tool icon next to the word Profile.
- Click on the Subtitles tab and check the Subtitles box
- Check the Overlay captions on video box.
- Click Save.
- Select a video profile and then press the Start button.
And with this we say goodbye inviting you if you have a query that would never admit a serious blog, send it to our contact form. The specialists from the LinuxAdictos office will try to answer them.