Streaming services are definitely here to stay And it is that who of our readers has not ever used any of these types of services or only have heard of them. Since, because they offer you the reproduction of content without the need to store it on your devices, it is usually the attraction.
However even so there are many who do not like these services Well, one of the big cons that stand out of these is that you are only paying for a membership and not for the content (if they are right) and that is why many prefer to pay for the content and own it.
And this argument is valid, because at least in my case I prefer to have the albums of my favorite artists even though for series and movies I prefer streaming services.
Putting this aside a bit, Today we will talk about an excellent application that many may like of our dear readers who like to store their series and movies.
And is that today len we will present Streama, whose function is to provide a Netflix-style service, for the user to have their own streaming service.
Basically Streama is a free, self-hosted media streaming server that runs on Java.
This server can be installed locally on computers or installed on a server for access from a web browser or mobile device with access to the network and a browser.
stream works as your own personal Netflix system to stream your TV shows, videos, audios and movies.
Streama is a web based application written with Grails 3 (server side) with SpringSecurity and all front components are written in AngularJS. The built-in player is completely HTML5 based.
This application can be an excellent alternative to Kodi and Plex.
Some of the more cool Streama features include:
- Easy to install configure. You can download the Docker instance and power up your media server in minutes or install the standard version on your local or VPS or dedicated server.
- Drag and drop support to upload media files.
- Live sync viewing support. You can watch videos with your friends, family remotely. It doesn't matter where they are. Everyone can watch the same video at the same time.
- Beautiful built-in video player for watching / listening to videos and audio.
- Built-in browser to access multimedia files on the server.
- Multi-user support. You can create individual user accounts for your family members and access the media server simultaneously.
- Streama supports the playback pause option. Pause playback at any time and Streama remembers where you last left off.
- Streama can detect movies and videos and similar shows for you to add.
- It is completely free and open source
Streama can be installed on different distributions, but as the developers say, it will not work well on low-resource machines, so a minimum of 2GB of RAM is required.
How to install Streama on Linux?
For those interested in being able to install Streama on their Linux distribution, should take into account that the main requirement for its installation and execution is that your system has java installed.
Streama requires JAVA 8 or later, preferably OpenJDK, so if you don't have it, you can consult a tutorial to install any of these in your distribution.
Now to download Streama We will have to open a terminal in the system and in it we are going to type the following command:
Done the download, now we are going to give execution permissions to the recently downloaded file. We do this by executing the following command:
chmod +x streama-1.7.2.jar
Finally we can execute the file by double clicking on it or from the terminal with:
java -jar streama-1.7.2.jar
To learn more about the use, implementation and execution of Streama as a service you can consult the following link.