Hardware company Entroware has announced the availability of Athena, one of the first gaming laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed.
This gaming laptop It comes with the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS version to choose between the Unity desktop and the MATE desktop. The Athena's hardware is very powerful hardware, which has nothing to envy other high-end laptops.
Athena Ubuntu Edition Hardware Specifications
- Processor to choose between these two (all Quad Core).
- Intel Core i7 6700HQ 2,6 Ghz
- Intel Core i7 6820 HK 2,7 GHz (£ 100 more expensive)
- Ram to choose between these four (all at 2133 MHz).
- 16Gb DDR4.
- 24 Gb DDR4 (£ 30 more expensive).
- 32 Gb DDR4 (£ 49 more expensive).
- 64 Gb DDR4 (£ 140 more expensive).
- Storage(up to 4 hard drives, 1 minimum).
- 500 GB.
- 1 TB (£ 50 more expensive).
- 128 SSD (40 pounds more expensive).
- 256 SSD (70 pounds more expensive).
- 512 SSD (140 pounds more expensive).
- 1 TB SSD (260 pounds more expensive).
- 2 TB SSD (530 pounds more expensive).
- Graphics card to choose between two.
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M 6GB
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 8GB (250lbs more expensive.)
- Intel network card with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Gigabit Ethernet.
- Screen to choose between two.
- 15,6 inches Full HD.
- 17,3 inches Full HD (70 pounds more expensive).
- One year standard warranty.
- Ubuntu LTS 16.04(Unity or Mate) or without operating system ..
- Custom keyboard with icons Ubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Entroware or Windows.
- 7 additional warranty days by dead pixels(30 pounds more the warranty is extended to one year).
The price of the minimum version of Athena is 1100 pounds (15 inches, 500 hard disk, 16 RAM…). Then we would have to add each more characteristic that you have takenFor example, the 17-inch screen instead of the 15 would add 70 pounds to the price, in the end it can cost more than 3000 pounds the most powerful version, a fair price considering the power (cheaper than gaming with Windows for the license savings).
Without a doubt, Entroware and his Athena are a good initiative, since one of the reasons for the scarcity of games for Linux is the trust of manufacturers in Windows. If gaming computer manufacturers trust Linux, companies will have no choice but to expand their catalog of games for Linux, something that Steam is already doing, for example that already has 2500 games for Linux.
If any of you want to try your luck with this PC, you can do it through from your official store where The configurator of the options you want for the PC also comes(more processor, more RAM)… If any of you have bought the PC, do not hesitate to leave your comment telling your experience.