Taking advantage of these dates with a view to Christmas and with the imminent Black Friday / Cyber Monday, perhaps you would like to know that you have one of the most powerful ultrabooks on the market, created by the Spanish Slimbook and also with GNU / Linux in its guts. This new laptop is presented as a Apple Macbook liquidator, a team that unfortunately is quite widespread even by some Linux users who prefer the hardware provided by the Cuppertino firm over other options.
If the PROX was already a marvel, this new Slimbook PROX 15 it is even more so if possible. And its price is extremely tight for what it has. In fact, I already compared the Macbook with the PROX, and the one from the Valencian firm came out very well. Well, if you add to that a more powerful CPU and a more powerful GPU, for only € 1199, things don't look bad ... So you no longer have an excuse to buy a Macbook and format it to install your favorite GNU / Linux distribution.
Yes, € 1199 for enviable hardware, that since TODAY YOU CAN PRE-BUY IT from here to benefit from this price, although the units for the stock will begin to arrive in the second half of December of this year.
And if you wonder what this Slimbook PROX 15 has to be an Apple Macbook killer, then here are some of its characteristics:
- CPU- You have an Intel Core i7-9750H versus the PROX's Core i7-10510U. This new chip has 6 cores, develops 16 threads in parallel, and can reach 4.5Ghz clock frequency. It also has 12MB of SmartCache. That translates to 33.99% better performance in benchmark CPU benchmarks.
- But by the full GPU acceleration techIf you want to play or work with graphic design, the new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 that far outperforms the NVIDIA MX250 of the PROX and much more than the Intel UHD of the PRO Base. The MX250 achieves a graphics benchmark performance of 22.2%, while the new 1650 hits 99.35%.
- RAM: from 8GB DDR4 to 32GB.
- Storage: SSD from 250GB M.2 to 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe (Western Digital or Samsung). With options to install a second hard drive to choose and RAID configuration (RAID 0 and RAID 1). That is, Stripping (distributes the data on both hard drives as if they were one) or Mirror (copies everything from SSD1 to SSD2 as a mirror to have a backup).
- Screen: the new screen grows to 15.6 ″ with a 100% sRGB IPS LED panel, compared to 13 ″ for the PROX.
- Battery / Autonomy: its battery is allowed to reach 12 hours according to MobileMark tests.
- Keyboard: backlit. Possibility of choosing the layout ES (Spanish for Spain), UK (English for the United Kingdom), US (English for the US), or DE (German).
- Operating System: you can choose No-OS (with nothing), or with Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint, elementaryOS, Manjaro, etc.
- EXTRAS: facial recognition using Linux PAM modules.
- Connectivity: USB 3.0, USB-C, USB 2.0, HDMI, RJ-45, WiFi, Audio Jack.
- Material: it is a product with a very good design and a quality finish with magnesium and aluminum alloy.
- Dimensions and weight: 16 mm thick and 1.5 kg.
- Price: I have already commented that it is € 1199, compared to € 2699 for the Macbook or € 1725 for the Dell XPS 15 2019. Not bad at all, right?