Pine64 has released yet another interesting new smartphone model. Its about PinePhone Pro. A mobile device designed for Linux users, and lovers of freedom and privacy, even providing practical physical switches to deactivate compromised parts such as the microphone, camera or modem. It is not an Android, but a Manjaro system for ARM and with Plasma Mobile.
Do not expect it to be one of the most beautiful mobiles, nor is it expensive, much less the one with the most performance. However, the real grace of this terminal is precisely its operating system, the not be tied to Android or GMS services, like the vast majority. Although this also has its drawbacks, such as the limitation of apps that you will find for this system.
It is also important to note that the PinePhone Pro has other aces under its belt, such as the possibility of extend functions using various modular housings. A way to use some complementary gadgets in an easy way. You have from a module to add an external keyboard and transform the mobile into a mini laptop, through a LoRa module for IoT, an additional battery to extend autonomy, another to add support for fast charging, etc.
As for the price and availability, it can already be purchased since last October. Only that before it cost $599 and now its creators offer it for a promotional price of $399. You just have to go toPine64's shop.
Technical characteristics of the PinePhone Pro
As for the technical characteristics of the PinePhone Pro, or technical specifications, which is what matters most when choosing a new mobile phone, this model includes the following:
- Screen: 6″ IPS LED with 1440×720 px resolution, 18:9 AR and Corning Gorilla Glass 4 reinforcement.
- SoC: Rockchip RK3399S with 4 ARM Cortex-A53 CPU cores and 2 high-performance ARM Cortex-A72 cores, plus a Mali T860MP4 GPU.
- Principal memory: 4 GB of low consumption LPDDR4 type RAM.
- Bonded warehouse: 128 GB of flash memory type eMMC. It can be expanded up to 2TB using microSD cards.
- Cameras: main 13MP with Sony IMX258 sensor and front 8 MP with Omnivision OV8858 sensor.
- Sound: mono speaker and 3.5mm minijack connection for headphones.
- Connectivity: WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.0, integrated GPS, and data via LTE 4G with microSIM.
- Port: USB-C (Spec USB 3.0) for data and charging.
- Safety: physical switches for security that can pay for LTE/GPS, WiFi/BT, microphone, cameras and headsets.
- Battery: Removable 3000mAh LiIon with 15W fast charge.
- Dimensions and weight: 160.8×76.6×11.1 mm and 215 grams.
- Operating System: Manjaro Linux + KDE Plasma Mobile.
- Expansion: by means of different casings/accessories.