Children of Offensive Security development team are pleased to announce a new version of the distribution Kali Linux 2017.2. This would come being the second so far this year, with which in this new version improvements and changes are added to the Pentesting-focused distro.
If you don't know the distro yet let me tell you a little about it. Kali Linux is a distribution derived from Debian Testing, this being a Rolling Release distribution, Kali Linux features the GNOME Shell desktop, with some modifications and adapted with applications for Pentesting.
The distro it can be run in Live Mode or installed directly on the computer. In addition, it has a "Forensic" mode in its startup options.
The new system update is now officially available for download from its official page. Kali Linux 2017.2 images are now available for download.
In addition to the fixes and improvements in the system new tools are included to the repertoire that Kali Linux has. Among them we can find:
- hURL- A hexadecimal encoder / decoder and URL to normal text string.
- phishing- a phishing tool written in Go. It is a server (Simple SSL Enabled HTTP) that obtains credentials by injecting a URL into Word documents (.docx).
- ssh-audit: With this program written in Python, we can check the security of servers and SSH services.
- apt2: another Python tool. It first scans for vulnerabilities and, based on the results, launches automated attacks. To do this, it combines various programs: msfconsole, nmap, hydra, john, smbclient, sslscan, etc.
- crackmapexec: program created in Python, also with the aim of abusing network security with Active Directory.
- Brutespray: program written in Python that, in combination with Nmap and Medusa, discovers services over various protocols (ftp, smtp, ssh, telnet, mysql, rlogin, svn, imap, pop, vnc ...), and then performs brute force attacks, using your default credentials.
How to get Kali Linux 2017.2?
If you are already a user of it, you can enjoy the new update without having to reinstall your system, this is one of the benefits of being a Rolling Release distribution.
To do this, you just have to open a terminal and run the following commands:
apt update apt dist-upgrade reboot
Finally, if you still do not have the distro or want to try it, you can download the system on its official website, I leave you the link here.