Back when I wanted to record my computer screen I used SimpleScreenRecorder. It still seems to me one of the best options, if not the best, to do this type of capture, but it does not work in Wayland and that has made me be unfaithful and use other alternatives. I like to use the same software whenever possible, and what I can use on any computer is OBS Studio.
Two months after the earlier version, we already have OBS Studio 28.1 available, an update that includes, above all, corrections. Also included in this version is something that regular readers of this blog won't be too interested in, hardware encryption using NVENC AV1 for Windows users. The list of novelties is completed with what you have below.
OBS Studio 28.1 Highlights
- NVENC Presets Update:
- The presets have been divided into 3 different settings: Preset, Tuning and Multipass mode.
- Presets are now P1 through P7, with lower numbers being lower quality and higher numbers being higher quality.
- Tuning is used to determine whether to prioritize latency or quality. There are three settings: High Quality, Low Latency, and Ultra Low Latency.
- Multi-Pass Mode is used to determine if a second pass is used for encoding, and has three settings: Off, Quarter Resolution, and Full Resolution. If enabled, you get higher quality at the cost of higher GPU resource usage.
- Moved "Always on top" to the View menu.
- A specific source can now be selected for the Virtual Camera.
- Corrections of:
- A bug where Direct3D 9 games stopped capturing correctly with Game Capture on Windows 11 22H2.
- A crash when changing the resolution of the Windows Virtual Camera.
- A Discord bug with Windows Virtual Camera.
- A crash with macOS apps loading the virtual camera.
- The version of Steam that launches the x86_64 version on Apple Silicon devices.
- Appearance issues with the statistics widget.
- The mix method in studio mode.
- The case where the video capture darkens when both luma and scale filters are set.
NOTE Studio 28.1 can now be downloaded from the official website of the project.