Just yesterday we were talking about how it had been a long time since a stable version of Manjaro was released. Motives had the project, as they have celebrated the 0.1th anniversary since they released vXNUMX of the operating system and, from the looks of it, they wanted to release something special, and they have. manjaro 21.1, which at the time of this writing is available as an update but there are no new images yet, comes with important and long-awaited news.
To begin with, I think there is a novelty to highlight: Manjaro 21.1 will be the first stable version to use GNOME 40, making the jump directly to GNOME 40.3. The applications had been using them for months, but now they have also updated the Shell, so the new gestures that already we detailed months ago. But it is that GNOME has not been the only desktop to make an important leap.
Highlights of Manjaro 2021-07-13
- Most of the kernels have been updated, the newest stable being Linux 5.13.3-1.
- Table 21.1.4.
- Issues with DisplayPort: 470.42.01 have been fixed with the latest beta driver from Nvidia.
- KDE Framework 5.84.0, KDE Gear 21.04.3 and Plasma 5.22.3 in the KDE edition.
- GNOME 40.3 in the GNOME edition.
- WINE 6.12.
- ZFS 2.1.0.
- Pipewire 0.3.31.
- Firefox 89.0.2.
- They have updated Cutefish to 0.3 1 and provide a new install media to test it out.
- Pamac has been updated to work with Pacman 6.0 3.
- ALSA has received the necessary updates to better work with Pipewire.
- Libre Office 7.1.4.
- Some of the browsers have been updated.
- Cinnamon is going to be updated to 5.0.
- Deepin has received some updates.
- More updates from KDE-Git and Deepin.
- Other regular updates, including python and haskell.
As we have mentioned, a new stable version has been released, and that means existing users have already received the new packages. The Manjaro 21.1 images will be up soon, at which point users doing a clean install will finally be able to use GNOME 40, an environment that made me wonder about my loyalty to KDE. In any case, we already have a stable version, and it is full of news.
Updated: we have corrected the numbering. What is released today is version 2021-07-13, which will coincide with ISO Manjaro 21.1 (and not 21.0) that will arrive soon.