One of the reasons to use almost any Linux distribution is that they are very agile operating systems. macOS works fine, but if the Mac is relatively modern. Windows ... well, for me it has always been heavy. Whenever I have used Linux, it has been better in this sense than macOS and Windows, and that is remembering that I did not like Ubuntu very much in the first versions after its transition to Unity. And, although there are less agile systems / distributions, we can always find one that suits our team like a glove, as is the case with LXLE 18.04.3 available since yesterday.
The LXLE team announced yesterday what is a maintenance release of the operating system it develops. He has been preparing for several weeks and is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3. Among the new features that it includes, we have a new option "Open as root", something like the option available in Windows without which we cannot make some options or programs work (or not correctly).
What's New in LXLE 18.04.3
- Improved the speed of application menus.
- Keyboard shortcut overlay list.
- Screen magnifier tooltip.
- Reorganized games section.
- Updated lock screen that now includes random random quotes.
- They have replaced several applications with others:
- Paint instead of GIMP.
- Lxtask instead of Htop.
- Sakura is the new default terminal.
- Bookworm instead of FBreader.
- Abiword, Gnumeric, and Spice-Up replace the LibreOffice equivalents.
- Pitivi instead of OpenShot.
- The equalizer packages for PulseAudio, Lubuntu Software Center, and Java OpenJDK have been removed.
- More than 100 wallpapers have been included.
- Improvements to Seamonkey, Gparted, Driver Manager, Simple Image Reducer, Keyboard Input Method, PPA Library Additions, and the Xarchiver context menu.
LXLE stands for Lubuntu Extra Life Extension and its name gives us clues as to why we should use this distribution. It is not the best for teams with good components (resources), but it is an option to take into account if we have a somewhat more modest PC. If you have one of these devices, you can download LXLE 18.04.3 in 32bit and 64bit versions from this link.