Before saying anything, so that no one scolds me if I don't understand it and although I think it's clear, "the new version is available now" is "the new version is now available" in Valencian. And it is that the Generalitat Valenciana has its own version of Linux for the education sector and this week it has launched LliureX 19 (LibreX 19), a "nova version" of its operating system that comes with a more prominent and visible novelty than the rest that many users will surely like.
The most notable novelty of LiureX 19 is that it now uses the Plasma graphical environment, although on their news page they mention "KDE" as the new graphical desktop environment. But in Linux Addicts we wanted to see for ourselves what this new version of LliureX looks like and we have been able to verify something else: LiureX 19 has been based on KDE neon, an operating system developed by KDE Community, but with a different philosophy than Kubuntu: always update to the latest version of the applications and graphical environment, but it is based on Ubuntu LTS, in this case Ubuntu 18.04.
LliureX 19 has been based on KDE neon 18.04
The news with which the new version arrives, and that we can read here!, are:
- Classroom Lite model: you can share only one folder on the server if the network is slow.
- Ability to set disk quotas for users.
- New desktop environment that works with KDE, although we have already seen that it uses KDE neon as a base.
- New categories in the menus better adapted to the current use of the applications:
- Computational thinking.
- New applications to facilitate the most common tasks:
- First Aid Kit: application to solve the most frequent problems.
- Repoman: application to modify the system repositories.
- Many other novelties that you will discover. +
Among the novelties that we can discover should be all those related to plasma 5.16.1, the version of Plasma you use, or to KDE Applications, since it uses applications such as Spectacle, Konsole or Okular from the KDE Community. On the other hand, Lliurex 19 does not use the KDE Neon repository, so applications will not be updated until the next Lliurex release or until we add the KDE Backports repository.
"Follow as follow", with its strengths and weaknesses (I think more strengths), LliureX 19 is already among us.
LliureX 19 | Download.