We expected it for Christmas and, well, in countries like Spain it is still in time, since the Christmas season begins on December 22 and ends on January 6. Still, it arrives later than expected, and even more so if we take into account that the launch it has not been made official yet. Clem Lefebvre, project leader, has already communicated that they are testing the proper functioning of the ISOs of Linux Mint 20.3, but they can already be downloaded from some of the official servers.
The beta was launched on December 13, and many of us expected that, as in previous years, we would be able to use Linux Mint 20.3 around December 25. The developer team has not mentioned the reason for this delay, and they have not done so because there has not yet been a release note; We don't know if they'll say anything when it's official. Yes have mentioned which they have fixed 85 bugs thanks to users who have tested the beta, that in the article that anticipates that soon the ISO will be able to be downloaded officially.
Linux Mint 20.3 highlights
- Based on Ubuntu 20.04.5, supported until 2025.
- Linux 5.4 with the latest kernel fixes from Canonical.
- Improvements in the Mint-Y theme, among which we have the close, minimize and maximize buttons with better aesthetics and size. The title bars are also larger.
- Project applications such as Celluloid, Hypnotix or the image viewer now use the dark color by default.
- Specific improvements to the desktops (and their applications) each of the versions in which it is available. The official or main one is the Cinnamon, but it is also available in MATE and Xfce.
- New application Thingy, a document viewer.
- Improved support for languages that are read from right to left (rtl).
- New wallpapers.
- System reports now only run once a day.
- Support for NVIDIA Optimus in .desktop files.
- New shortcut Alt + META + S to activate the screen reader.
- Support for x3 fractional scale on supported hardware.
As we've mentioned several times throughout this article, the release of Linux Mint 20.3 not official yet, but it can be downloaded from the odd one mirror, As in this link. In the next few hours they will announce the launch, and will also publish information on how to update from the same operating system.