It has been in development for several months, but we already have here a new version of this "light" distribution. Behind the v5.4 and for a few moments, it can be downloaded Linux Lite 5.6 with new features such as a new "Pay what you want" download model that is a bit reminiscent of what we see on the elementary OS page when we go to download the operating system ISO. Logically, this is not the best novelty, it does not even have to do with the operating system, but one that attracts attention.
Linux Lite 5.6 has been upgraded to be based on Ubuntu 20.04.3, but the main difference is that they have stayed on Linux 5.4, and have not updated to the Linux 5.11 that Focal Fossa uses in a few days. For those who want to use the most updated kernel, this distribution offers us a tool to choose between several of them.
Highlights of Linux Lite 5.6
- The system can now be installed from the welcome screen.
- The Papirus icon theme has been updated.
- 7 new wallpapers.
- Lite Tweaks now supports Brave Browser.
- New option «Pay what you want». More information about this, here!.
- Python 3 by default.
- Updated packages, such as:
- Kernel: 5.4.0-81 (custom kernels also available through their repository for versions 3.13 - 5.14).
- Firefox: 91.0.1.
- Thunderbird: 78.11.0.
- LibreOffice: 188.8.131.52.
- VLC: 184.108.40.206.
- Gimp: 2.10.18
- More detailed information in the release note.
Linux 5.6 It is now available for download from Official Site, from where we can see the new option to pay what we want to download the ISO. If we choose "0", the text "Buy" changes to "Download" (in English), the same thing that we have seen in elementary OS for a long time (or has it always been this way?). It can be updated from the same operating system, but the information in the release note is worth reading to do it correctly.