Yesterday I suggested to them as a New Year's resolution to change the operating system of their mobile phones to LineageOS, a free and privacy-respecting operating system built on the source code of Android. Starting today you can with LineageOS based on Android 13.
I start by saying that, Although there are versions for various phone models, both official and third-party, not all brands and classes are supported. Although, if you dare and get the firmware, nothing prevents you from compiling the one you need.
Table of Contents
The features of LineageOS 20 based on Android 13
Like Linux distributions on the desktop, mobile operating system distributions based on the Android source code allow to prolong the life of use of perfectly usable mobile phones but that were left without support for updates by their manufacturers.
Another point against the official Android is that it is completely integrated with Google services, and, in the best of cases, you can only uninstall them. With LineageOS you decide which applications are installed and which data is shared.
Also, there are ways to install Google apps.
The improvements incorporated by this new version are:
- All security patches released this year for older versions were incorporated into the code.
- A new camera app with features more similar to that of the official application and based on Google's CameraX library.
- The vision component of web sites and apps was updatedor Chromium 108.0.5359.79.
- EThe volume panel is redesigned and continued to improve the side pop-up expansion panel.
- Compatible with the Linux kernel 5.10.
- Improvements and bug fixes in the gallery app. that of updates, the browser and the calendar application.
- The recording app now supports the new functionalities Android and supports stereo in the .wav format.
- Builds for Android TV removed advertising andn the launcher that does have the official version.
- Google TV features were incorporated into Android TV builds like the two-panel settings app.
- The adb_root service no longer binds to the build type property, This makes possible greater compatibility with many third-party root systems.
- Merge scripts revised to simplify the Android Security Bulletin merge process and increase compatibility with more devices.
- The luminosity selection tool is better suitedr to device theme.
- The setup wizard is more similar to Android 13 and it has smoother transitions and a better user experience.
Officially supported models
These are the models that already have an official version of LineageOS 20
- ASUS Zenfone 5Z (ZS620KL)
- 4 Fairphone
- F(x)tec Pro¹
- Google Pixel 4a 5G
- Google Pixel 4a
- Google Pixel 4
- Google Pixel 4 XL
- Google Pixel 5a
- Google Pixel 5
- Lenovo Z5 Pro GT
- Lenovo Z6 Pro
- motorola edge 20
- motorola edge 30
- motorola edge
- Motorola edge s / moto g100
- Motorola moto g 5G / one 5G ace
- Motorola moto g 5G plus / one 5G
- Motorola moto g6 plus
- Motorola moto g7 play
- Motorola moto g7 plus
- motorola moto g7 power
- motorola moto g7
- motorola moto x4
- Motorola moto z3play
- Motorola onepower
- Nubia Mini 5G
- OnePlus 5
- OnePlus 5T
- OnePlus 6
- OnePlus 6T
- OnePlus 7
- OnePlus 7 Pro
- OnePlus 7T
- OnePlus 7T Pro
- OnePlus 8
- OnePlus 8 Pro
- OnePlus 8T
- OnePlus 9
- OnePlus 9 Pro
- Razer Phone 2
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (LTE)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (WiFi)
- Sony Xperia 1II
- Xiaomi Mi 8
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer Edition
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro
- Xiaomi Mi 8 SE
- Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
- Xiaomi Mi CC 9 / Mi 9 Lite
- Xiaomi Mi MIX
- Xiaomi Poco F1
Requirements to install LineageOS
To be able to install LineageOS you will first have to unlock the bootloader of the device and install a custom recovery app like LineageOS Recovery or TWRP.
The second step is to get a specific build of LineageOS 20 for each device, which will need to be installed via that custom recovery environment. Device-specific instructions may vary.
4 comments, leave yours
I have a Huawei Mate 20 Pro, with HarmonyOS 2.0.0
Can I install LineageOS? And if that were the case: how to do it?
There don't seem to be any current versions. The latest is LineageOS 16. Here is an installation tutorial
I love it and I use this ROM on mobiles that I use as GPS or multimedia centers at home, but I can't use it on my main mobile because it doesn't pass the Google certification and therefore the banking applications don't work for me. Let's see if someone finds a solution.
As I understand it, you have to root (sorry for the neologism) the phone. This is done from the Lineage configuration options or the recovery app