Any mobile phone fan knows that there are currently only two real options: Android and iOS. What any mobile fan will also know is that there are many companies that want to gain a foothold in this market, one of the most interesting for Linux users being the Plasma Mobile that KDE Community is developing. Most alternatives look to the future, where the By 5, but Purism's phone will arrive later this year.
In recent months, there have been rumors about what specs I'd have the Librem 5 from Purism. Today, the company has put an end to speculation by publishing what the phone they have developed will look like, in part, thanks to a crowfunding that began in 2017. The developers knew some details of the Librem 5, but today the rest of the details that you have below.
Librem 5 Technical Specifications
- Processor: IMX8M (quad-core).
- Screen: 5.7 ″ IPS TFT 720 × 1440.
- Memory RAM: 3GB (not yet revealed).
- Graphics: OpenGL / ES 3.1, OpenGL 3.0, Vulkan, OpenCL 1.2.
- Bonded warehouse: 32GB eMMC.
- Main camera: 13MP with flash.
- Secondary camera (front): 8MP.
- USB Type C to charge the device, pass data and video output.
- Battery: 3.500mAh, replaceable.
- Ability to add microSD memory (limit unknown).
- 3.5mm jack port.
- Connectivity: Gemalto PLS9 3G / 4G modem, 802.11abgn 2.4 Ghz / 5Ghz + Bluetooth 4.
- Others: GPS, a speaker, accelerometer.
- Price range: $ 649, $ 699 as of August 1. Available for reservation from here!.
Other things to keep in mind and that were already known, the Librem 5 uses the PuerOS operating system, based on Debian, and a mobile version of GNOME. Taking into account the processor and the 3GB of RAM, we can ensure that it has enough resources to function perfectly. In any case, the raison d'être of the Librem 5 from Purism is security. Are you interested in this Linux phone for a price of about € 700?