Some of you may not have heard much about Knoppix. This is partly because there are so many Linux distributions and only a few become popular, including Debian / Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Fedora, and some systems based on them. But the main operating system of this post has been important in the Linux world for being one of the first and the one that popularized Live Sessions. Today it has returned to be news, although small, because it has a new stable version available, the Knoppix 8.6.1.
Knoppix 8.6.1 not a major release. It has come mainly to correct problems and update some packages, but we can say that it is based on the latest version of Debian (Buster) and that it includes the Linux kernel 5.3.5. Below you have the most outstanding list of news that you can also access from the release note.
Knoppix 8.6.1 Highlights
- Basado en Debian 10 Buster. Includes some packages from the unstable repositories for graphics drivers.
- Linux 5.3.5.
- Xorg 7.7.
- Graphical environment based on LXDE.
- pcmanfm 1.3.1.
- GNOME 3.
- Wine 4.0.
- Qemu-kvm 3.1.
- Chromium 76.0.3908.100.
- Firefox 69.0.2.
- LibreOffice 6.3.3-rc1.
- GIMP 2.10.8.
- Blender 2.79b, Freecad 0.18, Meshlab 1.3.2. Open Scad 2015.03.
- Kdenlive 18.12.3. OpenShot 2.4.3. photofilmstrip 3.7.1. obs-studio 22.0.3.
- Clients for OwnClowd 2.5.1 and NextCloud 2.5.1.
- Caliber 3.39.1.
- godot3 3.0.6.
- RipperX 2.8.0 and Handbrake 1.2.2.
- gerbera 1.1.0.
- Automatic resizing of overlapped partition without reboot. Even after 1: 1 copying to USB flash disk.
- Remastering option when copying to USB flash disk using flash-knoppix or Terminator.
- Support for UEFI Secure Boot.
As a personal opinion, being a user of X-buntu (now Kubuntu) and having tried many Linux distributions, I would say that I am not a big fan of this operating system. I do appreciate what he did in the past, but now I think there are many better options. The thing is, since Linux offers so many possibilities, Knoppix is probably made for some of you. The best thing is that you try it and decide for yourself.
Knoppix 8.6.1 is now available from this link.