It was in development for more than 15 years after which they launched the v1.0… That was still in development. Already last year, at the beginning of May 2020, they released the first version that did not include any development tag and had come out of the alpha and beta phases, and this Monday threw Inkscape 1.1, the first important update in a year that comes loaded with news that can be seen from the beginning of the app, as it includes a new welcome screen.
More than a welcome screen, it is a new dialog that we can use to customize some parameters, such as the size of the document we want to create, the color of the layers, the color modes, the keyboard shortcuts, theme groups and even more things. . Below you have a list with the most outstanding news that have come with Inkscape 1.1.
Inkscape 1.1 Highlights
- New welcome dialog that allows us to configure some parameters.
- New command palette (Command Palette) that is opened with the key? and allows you to find and use a group of functions without having to resort to menus or keyboard shortcuts.
- New level of dock experience, enhancing the Dialog Docking System to make it work better and be more versatile.
- The search bar allows you to find preference settings, among other things.
- New outline overlay mode, which allows to show a mute view (opacity) of the drawings behind the lines and are sensitive to clicks.
- Improvements in existing tools, such as calligraphy, which is now more precise.
- New LPE (Live Path Effect), which allows dividing an object into two or more parts without destroying the original, among other effects.
- Now you can export faster to formats like PNG, JPG, WebP and TIFF.
Inkscape 1.1 is available from this Monday, so can now be downloaded from the official website of the project for all supported systems. Linux users can download it as AppImage, package Snap, package Flatpak and even from a PPA for Ubuntu. Many distributions have it available in the official repositories, but they will still need to update the package to the latest version.