There are not a few who say that, if you are looking for the purest GNOME experience, the operating system to use is Fedora. But the version that will use GNOME v42, Fedora 36, is still in beta, so the most popular system that is already using it is Ubuntu 22.04. In the end, which distribution uses what is not the most important thing, or it is not in an article like this one that focuses on one release, that of GNOME 42.1.
This is the first point update for GNOME 42, and it has come 5 weeks after the original release. to go correcting the errors that they have been finding during this time. As many of you already know, GNOME does not distinguish between desktop, applications and others, and includes everything under the name of the project, so GNOME 42.1 brings new features to the graphical environment and to the rest of the software.
Some new features in GNOME 42.1
- GNOME Software has been improved, which now better manages the Flathub repository and Flatpak applications in general, some tweaks have been made to the interface and a bug that occurred in Fedora and caused some repositories to be disabled has been corrected.
- Files, the old fashioned Nautilus, now supports HighContrast, can pre-load information from external files in the list view, and has improved support for dark mode.
- The control center app has fixed bugs around monitor labels, improved management of VPN connections and online accounts, among other fixes.
- Improved Calendar Widget.
- The Connections app now supports resizing and maximizing the view.
- Music has added shuffle option.
- Improvements to the text editor introduced in GNOME 42.
- Complete list of changes to this link.