Although I have to admit that I am more interested in other news such as Plasma 5.21 release of this Tuesday, I am aware that there are many users who prefer another graphical environment. Specifically, the one that is especially famous for being the desktop used by the main versions of two very popular Linux distributions, such as Fedora and Ubuntu. Today's news is that, after the third point version and three weeks after it, it is already available GNOME 3.38.4.
In about a month GNOME 40 will arrive, but that version of the graphical environment will not arrive in Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute Hippo, so users of the Canonical system will be happy that the current desktop series continues to be polished. It will come to Fedora, who have thought that GTK 4.0 and GNOME 40 are fine and can be used in the next version of their operating system. Below you have the list of most outstanding novelties that have arrived with GNOME 3.38.4.
Highlights of GNOME 3.38.4
- HiDPI support in Wayland has been improved for the Evince document viewer.
- Improvements in the Flatpak version of GNOME Boxes.
- Accessibility to the welcome screen in GNOME Shell has been improved.
- GNOME Shell has received several fixes to correct the issue that made the app grid disappear.
- The ability to take snapshots in full screen windows not redirected in X11 has been improved
- Improved storage of VPN secrets.
- Several patches have been introduced for bugs that appeared in some transitions.
- Mutter can now configure Xrandr as the primary output for XWayland.
- CRTCs have been disabled if there is no monitor attached.
- Fixed various crashes and unexpected shutdowns.
As with most Linux releases, just because the GNOME 3.38.4 release is official does not mean that it will appear as an update right now. What is available is the code (here! the packages separately), but now they are the distributions which have to add it to their operating systems.
The next version will be GNOME 3.38.5 and will arrive in March, just before the launch of GNOME 40 that will arrive on the 24th of the same month.