Although Photoshop is available in macOS, the truth is that it is a proprietary paid software, and personally I am a user who does not like changes very much, so if I use GIMP on Linux and Windows, I also want to use it on my old iMac . Until a week ago, the version of GIMP for macOS was an old one, but they have already updated it to the latest version. In addition to that, the project continues to work on GIMP 3.0.
A few hours ago they announced the release of GIMP 2.99.4, which is a new development version of GIMP 3.0. It comes with many new features, of which you have a summary below these lines, but personally what they mention in their section "what's coming" catches my attention, specifically that will not adopt GTK 4.0 out of the box. We remember that the new version of GTK is available for just over a week, but the GIMP development team is now focused on other things, and GTK 3.0 will still be supported long enough for the change to be safe.
What's new in the latest GIMP 3.0 beta
What you have below is a very summarized list of what they have published in this link:
- Usability fixes in various parts of GIMP.
- New paint selection tool on the playground.
- New generation of generic dialog and metadata support API for export plugins.
- Multi-threaded JPEG2000 decoding.
- Initial documentation on plugin migration to 3.0.
- Corrections in:
- Swipe widget.
- Multi-layer selector.
- Input devices dialog.
- Improved default devices.
- The miniatures have been adapted for Korean and Japanese,
- New experimental paint selection tool.
- APIs have been updated:
- Generation of dialogs for plugins.
- Generic metadata support.
- Updated file plugins
- Multi-threaded settings available from plugins.
- Improved plugin debugging.
- babl 0.1.84 and GEGL 0.4.28.
- It will not make the move to GTK 4.0 starting.
Without GTK 4.0… start
The last point on the previous list is not a novelty, but an absence. But it won't be a very important one if we take into account what they say at that point:
Oh, and one last thing. We are aware that GTK 4.0 is already available, we have no plans to change it before the release of GIMP 3.0.
It is understood that the project is focused on what they already have in hand, and that GIMP 3.0 it will be moved to GTK 4.0 in a future update. In any case, there are two updates from this week: the new one for macOS and the latest beta, precisely one that will not reach Apple devices. And speaking of apple computers, GIMP 2.10.22 does not officially support Bug Sur, but it works. It never rains to everyone's liking.