Educational software GCompris arrives with its version 2.0 in which there are improvements and some interesting news. This suite for children's education and entertainment is designed for children between the ages of 2 and 10. This project is open source and free, and is available for GNU / Linux, Android, macOS, Windows, and also for the Raspberry Pi.
GCompris 2.0 now has more fun and hours of entertainment. It contains various activities, and among the novelties of this version are:
- Baby mouse, an educational game to help children get started with the computer for the first time.
- oware, another traditional strategy game to develop logic and strategy skills.
- Stances, which helps children learn the terms that describe the relative position of an object.
- Ordering Sentences, to practice reading and grammar ordering parts of a sentence.
- Path Encoding and Path Decoding, to allow the little ones to follow a path defined on a grid according to a series of given directions, either relative and absolute directions.
- Ordering Numbers and Ordering Letters, activities to help children practice with the order of numbers and letters of the alphabet in ascending and descending order.
- Learn Decimal Numbers and Learn Quantities, to learn numbers with decimals and fractions, as well as addition, subtraction, etc.
On the other hand, the activities that were already present in previous versions of GCompris they have been improved, with new features. For example:
- Analog Electricity, now includes more levels of tutoring.
- programming maze, has more data from loop operations.
- Magic Hat, has more data sets for younger children.
- Solar system, now use Earth days and years as units for all supported planets.
- Geography, updated with new maps.
- Other Activities like Tangram, Photo Hunter, Money, Missing Letter, and Simple Paint now feature more images and visual enhancements. There's even a new extension for Inkscape for creating SVG maps and puzzles.
Of course, they have also fixed numerous bugs present in versions prior to GCompris 2.0, making this suite more stable and reliable.
More information - Official website of the project