There is probably some clueless person who does not know what that of FFmpeg is. It can be understood, because it is software without a user interface that is often used from the terminal. But you have to know that a lot of other Linux software, and even Windows (like Capture) uses its multimedia framework to be able to work. With this explained a little, the news that we bring you today is that Fabrice Bellard and his team have launched ffmpeg 4.3.
It has been a bit surprising that the released version has gone to v4.3, but it is not so surprising if we consider that it has been about 10 months since v4.2 released of the framework. Be that as it may, the team has decided to go up to that number and the new update includes improvements such as support for Vulkan. Here is a list of the most outstanding news that have come together with FFmpeg 4.3.
FFmpeg 4.3 Highlights
- Support for Vulkan.
- Intel QSV accelerated MJPEG and VP9 decoding.
- Support for the AMD AMF encoder on Linux via Vulkan API.
- VDPAU VP9 Hardware Acceleration.
- Support for 3D TrueHD and MPEG-H audio in MP4.
- Support for Sipro ACELP.KEVIN decoding.
- AV1 encoding supported via librav1e.
- Support for the ZMTP (ZeroMQ Message Transport Protocol) protocol.
- Support for PCM and PGS in M2TS.
- Style support for 3GPP Timed Text Subtitle (movtext) has been extended, and changed from AvxSynth to AviSynth + on Linux.
- New decoders: CDToons video, mvdv, mvha, IMM5 video, Argonaut Games ADPCM, Simon & Schuster Interactive ADPCM, siren audio, Rayman 2 ADPCM, High Voltage Software ADPCM, ADPCM IMA MTF, CRI HCA, DERF DPCM, mv30, PFM, NotchLC and Cunning Developments ADPCM.
- New demuxers have been introduced: AV1 Annex B, Argonaut Games ASF, Real War KVAG, Rayman 2 APM, FWSE, LEGO Racers ALP (.tun and .pcm), CRI HCA, DERF and Pro Pinball Series Soundbank. The Real War KVAG and streamhash muxers have also been included.
- New filters, like those of v360, anlms, arnndn.
- WebP parser.
- MediaFoundation Encoder Wrapper.
- Support for the AMQP 0-9-1 (RabbitMQ) protocol.
- Simon & Schuster ADPCM interactive encoder.
- Sierpinski video source and afirsrc audio filter source.
- New libraries: libavutil 56.51.100, libavcodec 58.91.100, libavformat 58.45.100, libavdevice 58.10.100, libavfilter 7.85.100, libswscale 5.7.100, libswresample 3.7.100, and libpostproc 55.7.100.
Now available for download
As we have mentioned, we are talking about a framework and libraries, so the only way to get FFmpeg 4.3 and any past or future version is from its source code, which we can download from this link. From now on, the developers of the applications that use the framework will have to update them to take advantage of the new features of FFmpeg 4.3.