When a crisis occurs it is necessary to give affected people, and to whom they must respond, a notice that allows them to prepare. In Myself Previous Article I described the characteristics of a special kind of open source software. The alert managers. Now it was time to review some of the tools available.
Table of Contents
Emergency alerts. Why use specific software
I had commented in my previous article that it had never occurred to me that programs of this type could be used by private companies. However, if we learn anything from this pandemic, it is that all medium or large organizations should implement them.
The benefits of a good alert manager are:
- Unique interface to send a message in multiple ways.
- Minimization the possibility of spreading false or distorted information.
- Check-in to large numbers of people at the same time.
- Give one fast answer to unexpected events.
- Create sense of security and personal protection.
Open source tools for emergency alerts
This platform it is much more than an emergency alert system. Its modular architecture allows, in addition to the creation of alerts, the management of response and recovery actions.
Some of the things that can be done with Sahara EDEN
- Creation of the database of organizations prepared to respond to each emergency.
- Management of specialized personnel and volunteers.
- Registry of shelters and supplies available and necessary for different catastrophes.
- Sending alerts to those affected using email, SMS and Twitter.
- Visualization on a map of the relevant locations.
Open Broadcaster EAS
En this case have a media targeted solution. With this tool you They can broadcast emergency messages on radio, television, cable television channels, and satellite television. Multilingual text can also be generated by scrolling or sliding for LED signage boards.
The developer offers EAS as part of their streaming solution or as a standalone tool that integrates with any other streaming software. In the latter case, it can be purchased with the hardware or assemble your own.
Another feature is that the platform is prepared to comply with international standards for the transmission of alerts in the media.
Here We are talking de an emergency notification software It is open source and it is also free for commercial and non-commercial uses. ANDIt is designed to reduce the risks of disasters and associated losses.
- Preconfigured database with the main types of disasters and their possible consequences.
- Configurable tool for data collection on new disasters.
- Interface to use two levels of geographic information management; local and Web Mapping Services.
- Integration and exchange with Google Maps and Google Earth.
- Import and export of data in XML formats and spreadsheets.
- Support for database engines such as Postgres, MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, and others.
Cyphon it is ideal for incident response and management. With this program events can be received, processed, and prioritized, making it easy for analysts to investigate and document incidents. When an alert is triggered, analysts can see the type of incident that occurred, its geographic location, and its level of criticality. With a single click, they can find records related to the incident, helping them reduce the time it takes to investigate an incident and act on it.
- It makes it easy to collect data from different sources like emails, APIs, log messages, social media platforms, and others.
- Show centralized information in a single dashboard.
- It allows the generation of personalized alerts using pop-up notifications.
- Use the classification of incidents based on their severity.
- It enables the monitoring of the work carried out to respond to each alert.
If something is clear when one goes deeper into the world of free and open source software, is that common use software may not have been developed to the same level as proprietary. But, its superiority in tools for specific uses is unquestionable.