Like many projects, the one directed by Daniel Foré publishes a monthly article about all the progress they are making and the plans they have for their future. In this case, it is usually Cassidy James Blaede, who a few hours ago has spoken to us of the first novelties that will come to elementary OS 6. But since the sixth version of the "primary operating system" has not yet been scheduled, we have also been told about changes that will be introduced in Hera.
Cassidy remembers that elementary OS now uses a semi-rolling release development model, and that allows its users to enjoy the news much earlier than before. But that "semi" means that it is not forever and that in the medium-term future they will launch elementary OS 6 that can already be tested from its Early Access Builds, downloadable from this link. Next we will talk about the news that will reach the system In the next weeks.
Table of Contents
Soon in elementary OS 5.1 Hera
- Security and stability improvements.
- In the keyboard settings, they have added a new view to input methods, which makes things easier especially in languages like Asian.
- The music indicator on the top panel has been updated, which ensures that the default player is shown when nothing is playing.
- Minor update in AppCenter to ensure your window position is saved and restored correctly.
- Fixed boothole vulnerability.
First news in the form of changes to elementary OS 6
- The interface has been retouched, starting with a new typeface and style sheet. This will affect the entire system.
- Dark style for system components such as the Dock, panel indicators, keyboard shortcut overlay, system dialogs, etc.
- Default primary color chosen by the user in all applications. Applications can still override this if they wish, but the default Blueberry color above can be changed to a range of palette colors including Strawberry, Orange, Banana, Lime, Mint, Grape, and Bubble Gum.
- Important improvements in communication and organization apps, such as Evolution.
- New homework app.
- New installer and initial configuration to improve the first-start experience.
- Improved multi-touch support for navigating between apps and other tasks.
At the moment, users interested in testing elementary OS can download Hera 5.1.6 from their official website. elementary OS 6 has no scheduled release date yet.