Many years ago, at that fateful moment when Canonical introduced its Unity and many of us looked for alternatives to Ubuntu, one of the distributions I tried was this one developed by Daniel Foré. I really liked its "maquero" design and that it moved with ease, but some things were not intuitive to me and I ended up in Ubuntu MATE. That was my decision. Many others, even earlier, stayed in the "elemental" system that a few minutes ago presented a very important update: elementary OS 6.
The codename of the sixth version of the operating system from which we began to know details a little over a year ago es Odin. Cassidy James Blaede, who has published the release note, ensures that «elementary OS 6 is the most customizable version to date, allowing you to completely change its image«. Personally, and as a KDE user, I don't think it's that much, but it does include the light and dark themes and even the "emphasis" color.
elementary OS 6 is the most customizable version to date
Regarding new features, Blaede mentions:
- It is multi-touch. GNOME 40 users who have already tried its gestures know how good they are, and Odin allows us to:
- Enter multitasking, show open apps and workspaces with a three-finger swipe up. Like GNOME 40, it will make it faster or slower depending on the speed of our gesture.
- Three fingers to the left or right will move us between dynamic workspaces, also similar to what we do in GNOME 40.
- Two-finger gestures also in system applications, such as captures in AppCenter, date indicator or to go between the steps of the initial configuration and welcome screen.
- Swipe to reject notifications.
- Improved notification system, with balloons, allow us to show more detailed information and actions.
- New Tasks app, and from the captures it seems compatible with iCloud reminders.
- Firmware updates available.
- Improvements in the elementary OS / Pantheon app set.
- The dashboard now displays information when hovering over it.
- Possibility of stacking windows (tiles).
- More intuitive than previous versions, making it easier to use.
- Two wallpapers, one light and one dark, for the theme we choose.
The above is a fairly short list. To see all the changes in detail, it's worth reading the release note.
elementary OS 6 Odin It is now available from this link. If you are one of its users, this version interests you. And if not, maybe it convinces you to change distribution.