During this weekend, between skulls and pumpkins, Danielle Foré told us about the latest news to arrive at elementary OS 6 Odin. Among the improvements there is a bit of everything, but most are related to one of its applications, such as AppCenter, Mail or Photos. As it is something that we can see with the naked eye, perhaps what is most striking about what has come this October is that the dark theme is now available for the entire desktop.
El dark theme for the whole desktop It is currently optional for developers; They will be the ones who decide if their app changes to dark after activating the option in the settings or if they keep the color palette they used when creating it. This is to avoid problems in applications that were not sufficiently tested.
October highlights for elementary OS 6
- App center has added a progress bar that will appear on the button to install, remove or update applications. This bar replaces the one that appeared separately. On the other hand, they have corrected some regressions and applied other patches.
- Web is now in v40.3, with improvements such as the redesign in the Preferences dialog that now includes search or the new tab bar.
- Mail has improved the list of conversations by adding a menu to the secondary click. Various issues have also been fixed.
- Photos now focuses on the photo once it is opened instead of the save button. On the other hand, they have fixed a potential crash when importing photos when the metadata had incorrect date and time information.
- Calendar has fixed Windows-style time zones in synced events. They have also fixed a memory leak.
- Calculator now focuses on the main text input at startup, so you can start entering numbers right out of the box. They have also improved the multi-window experience.
- Files has fixed an issue where some audio files had a thumbnail that would stay fixed forever instead of reverting to the audio file icon when they had no cover art.
- Videos now supports two-finger swiping to go back and the navigation code has been greatly polished.
- The general tweaks have resolved many cross-platform issues, which will make the desktop (Phanteon) easier to bring to distributions like Fedora. This has also improved support for languages that use three-letter language codes, among other things.
- The dark theme for the entire operating system is available.
- Other improvements and updates, including changes for developers. Complete and detailed list.
elementary OS 6.0.3 was announced last Saturday, October 30, and soon the new ISO will be available to download on your official website.