On February 9, one of the most important projects in the Linux world He launched Debian 10.3 and Debian 9.12. Yesterday Saturday May 9, the same developers threw a new maintenance update of its latest version, a Debian 10.4 that has come to continue fixing bugs and improving the performance and security of the operating system whose original release occurred on July 7, 2019. As stated in the informative note, «this point release mainly adds fixes for security issues, as well as a few tweaks to serious issues«.
Debian 10.4, still codenamed "Buster," comes with several updates in stable packages, but most of them focused on improving security and other general bugs. Among these changes we have an updated kernel, which now becomes Linux 4.19.0-9. At this point we have to remember that Debian is a distribution that only includes the necessary new features that they know work perfectly, or else they would have already included a more updated kernel such as Linux 5.3 (now they are going for Linux 5.6).
Debian 10.4 Highlights
- Linux 4.19.0-9.
- New version of ClamAV.
- OpenGL pass-through transitions in LibreOffice have been fixed.
- Disabled support for SSE4.2 for NCBI-Blast.
- Now offers the latest NVIDIA graphics drivers.
- Removed the gplaycli package because a change in the Google API has broken a command line to download from Google Play. Getlive has also been removed to collect mail from Hotmail accounts due to changes in the Microsoft API.
- Removed kerneloops, libmicrodns, libperlspeak-perl, torbirdy, ugene, and Yahoo2Mbox packages.
- Various security updates that have also been introduced in Firefox, Python, or Chromium.
Debian 10.4 is not a new version of Debian in its entirety, which means that existing users can upgrade from the same operating system; no need to do a scratch install. Users interested in making a first installation can download Debian 10.4 from the project's download page, which we can access from here.