There were many attempts to create distros with different desktop environments, some unsuccessful. Others like Deepin have remained. Now they have another great rival, it's called cutefishOS and it has an environment that stands out for its minimalism and beauty. However, it is not yet a stable version, it is in the Beta phase of its development, so be careful with using it in production.
The 0.6 Beta version of CutefishOS has already been released, and for now it is already a promising project in terms of simplicity and beauty from your desktop environment. But apart from that, do you have anything else to contribute?
Leaving aside that it is in its development stage and that it may have some error or failure to polish, the truth is that it holds many surprises. Some of the keys of the CutefishOS distro are:
- Debian 11 "Bullseye" as a base.
- Simplicity of use for all types of users.
- Good future alternative for Deepin and even Pop! _OS and ZorinOS.
- Its development focuses on creating a modern and usable user interface, with a user experience similar to that of Windows or macOS users.
- Design inspired by the macOS desktop, although with some differences.
- The desktop environment uses a good foundation, built using Qt and KDE frameworks. This gives you great potential and efficiency in terms of resource management.
- Very clean workspace.
- Very attractive and subtle animation effects (with the possibility of disabling them to consume less resources).
- Possibility to use dark theme.
- Customizable in terms of the location of the bar, background, etc.
- Android or iOS-like option switch or switches to enable and disable functions.
If you like all that and want to try it, remember that being Beta it is best that you try it in a virtual machine, since it may still have some errors.
Download CutefishOS - Official website of the project