Google has released Chrome OS Flex operating system, which is not intended for Chromebooks like the Chrome OS edition, but can also be installed on any other PC, including Macs. This operating system is completely free, is based on Linux, and can replace Windows and macOS on computers that are up to 13 years old. As you know, these teams have more and more impediments to continue using Apple and Microsoft systems, and before that you have the option of Linux.
Chrome OS Flex is not exactly the same as Chrome OS, there are some differences, also some similarities. But in the case of Flex you will not be able to install android apps like you would on a Chromebook, but you will be able to install Linux software, and that includes WINE so you can install Windows software. In addition, what Flex offers is a cloud-based management, which allows a lighter local system, with a very fast start-up, and with updates that are carried out in the background.
Table of Contents
Chrome OS Flex Requirements
Before you can install Chrome OS Flex on a computer, the requirements you will need are:
- PC or Mac.
- Google Chrome web browser to create the bootable USB.
- A USB flash drive with a capacity of 8 GB or more.
- Intel or AMD x86-64 processor.
- 4 GB of RAM.
- 16 GB of storage.
In principle, it could work on all launched equipment from 2010.
How to install Chrome OS Flex
For, install chrome os flex on your computer, just follow a few simple steps:
- Go into your Chrome web browser.
- Sign in this link.
- Enter your data for registration.
- Tap Try Chrome OS Flex.
- Follow the steps of the wizard that will create the bootable USB for the installation (or it also gives you the option of network installation).
- Now you can boot the computer from the pendrive as you would to install any other operating system (remember to configure the BIOS/UEFI to boot from the USB).
After, if you have several teams in your company, you will be able to implement ChromeOS Flex through the same USB or by network installation.
What does Chrome OS Flex offer?
Chrome OS Flex offers a number of interesting features if you want to reduce e-waste and give your old equipment a second life:
- Modern operating system.
- Cloud-based management across all devices running Chrome OS Flex.
- Compatibility with older hardware.
- Advanced security features.
- Automatic and transparent updates for the user. With LTS support.
- Granularity to control devices.
- Scalable, to deploy on multiple computers. All computers can be centrally managed using the Google Admin console, or third-party solutions like UEM can be used, and even the Chrome Policy API.
More information - Official site