Announced the launch of the new version of the popular Linux distribution, “Calculate Linux 23”, developed by the Russian-speaking community, built on the basis of Gentoo Linux, supported by a continuous release cycle of updates, and optimized for rapid deployment in a corporate environment.
For those who are unaware of Calculate Linux, you should know that this is compatible with Gentoo Portages, which uses the OpenRC init system and uses the rolling update model. The repository contains more than 13 thousand binary packages. Live USB includes open source and proprietary video drivers.
Supports multiboot and boot image modification using compute utilities. The system supports working with the Calculate Directory Server domain with centralized authorization in LDAP and storage of user profiles on the server.
The composition includes a selection of utilities specially designed for the Calculate project for system configuration, assembly and installation. Tools are provided to create custom ISO images tailored to user needs.
Main new features of Calculate Linux 23
One of the main novelties of the new version of Calculate Linux 23 is that a server edition of Calculate Container Manager is included to work with LXC, a new cl-lxc utility was added to it, and support for selecting an update repository was added.
Another novelty that we can find in this new version of Calculate Linux 23 is that a new Calculate Container Manager server distribution is proposed to launch LXC containers, in addition to the addition of the cl-lxc utility for creating and updating containers, taking into account the features of Calculate Linux.
In addition to this, we can also find the updated user environments, KDE Plasma 5.25.5, Xfce 4.18, MATE 1.26, Cinnamon 5.6.5, LXQt 1.2 and of which we can also find updates within the different flavors offered by the distribution such as:
- CLD (Calculate Linux with KDE desktop), 3.1 G: KDE Frameworks 5.99.0, KDE Plasma 5.25.5, KDE Applications 22.08.3, LibreOffice 126.96.36.199, Chromium 108.0.5359.124.
- CLDC (Calculate Linux with Cinnamon desktop), 2.8G: Cinnamon 5.6.5, LibreOffice 188.8.131.52, Chromium 108.0.5359.124, Evolution 3.46.2, GIMP 2.10.32, Rhythmbox 3.4.6.
- CLDL (Calculate Linux with LXQt desktop), 2.9G: LXQt 0.17, LibreOffice 184.108.40.206, Chromium 108.0.5359.124, Claws Mail 4.1.0, GIMP 2.10.32, Strawberry 1.0.10.
- CLDM (Calculate Linux with MATE desktop), 2.9G: MATE 1.26, LibreOffice 220.127.116.11, Chromium 108.0.5359.124, Claws Mail 4.1.0, GIMP 2.10.32, Strawberry 1.0.10
- CLDX (Calculate Linux with Xfce desktop), 2.8G: Xfce 4.18, LibreOffice 18.104.22.168, Chromium 108.0.5359.124, Claws Mail 4.1.0, GIMP 2.10.32, Strawberry 1.0.10.
- CLDXS (Calculate Linux with Xfce Scientific Desktop), 3.1 G: Xfce 4.18, Eclipse 4.15, Inkscape 1.2.1, LibreOffice 22.214.171.124, Chromium 108.0.5359.124, Claws Mail 4.1.0, GIMP 2.10.32.
- CCM (Container Manager), 699 M: ядро Linux 5.15.82, Calculate Utilities 126.96.36.199, Calculate Toolkit 0.3.1.
- CDS (directory server), 837 M: OpenLDAP 2.4.58, Samba 4.15.12, Postfix 3.7.3, ProFTPD 1.3.8, Bind 9.16.22.
- CLS (Linux Scratch), 1.7G: Xorg-server 21.1.4, Linux version 5.15.82.
- CSS (Scratch Server), 634 M: Kernel 5.15.82, Calculate Utilities 188.8.131.52.
Finally, we can also highlight that the cl-update utility has added support for choosing a binary package mirror, in addition to adding a Git repository availability check with the ability to switch between GitHub and Calculate Git, portage path changed to /var/db/repos/gentoo, installer added complexity check for entered passwords, nano editor replaced by vi, from busybox package and NVIDIA proprietary driver detection improved .
If you are interested in being able to learn more about this new release, you can check the details in the following link
Download and Get Calculate Linux 23
For those who are interested in being able to test this new version of the distribution and as already mentioned the changes in the different editions, you should know that all versions of the distribution are distributed as a bootable live image for x86_64 systems with the capacity to install on a hard drive or USB drive.
For those who are on a previous version of the system (Calculate Linux 22) they can make the jump to the new version without having to reinstall, it is enough to execute the basic update commands to be able to have the new version.
To get the system image, they can do it from the link below.