Recently the launch of the new version of the Linux distribution "Calculate Linux 22" which is developed by the Russian-speaking community, built on the basis of Gentoo Linux, which supports a continuous update cycle and is optimized for rapid deployment in a corporate environment.
The new version implements the ability to update that systems that have not been updated for a long time, Calculate Utilities have been translated into Python 3 and the PipeWire sound server is enabled by default.
Calculate Linux it is compatible with Gentoo ports, uses the OpenRC boot system, and applies a continuous update model. The repository contains more than 13 thousand binary packages. Live USB includes proprietary and open source video drivers.
Supports multiboot and modifying the boot image using the Calculate utilities. The system supports working with the domain Calculate Directory Server with centralized authorization in LDAP and the storage of user profiles on the server.
It includes a collection of utilities specially developed for the Calculate project to configure, assemble, and install the system, and tools are also provided to create custom ISO images tailored to user needs.
Main new features of Calculate Linux 22
In this new version of the distribution it is highlighted that the ability to upgrade very old installations for those that have not been installed updates for a long time, which is an excellent option for computers for example in institutions that are not very often updated.
Another of the changes that stands out in this new version of Calculate Linux 22 is that a new version of Calculate Utils 3.7 has been proposed, fully translated to Python 3, plus as of this version Python 2.7 is excluded of the base distribution.
In addition to this, it is also highlighted that the PulseAudio sound server has been replaced by the PipeWire media server, which is a change that has been generated in different Linux distributions and Calculate is no exception, in addition to the fact that the option to select ALSA is preserved.
On the other hand, we can find that added Bluetooth support when using ALSA, as well as improved support for hardware virtualization based on the Hyper-V hypervisor.
Of the other changes that stand out from this new version:
- Optimized system performance.
- The Clementine music player was replaced with a Strawberry fork.
- Reuse udev for device management instead of the previously forked eudev.
As for changes related to each build of the distribution, we can find the following:
- CLD (KDE desktop) In this edition the components were updated: KDE Frameworks 5.85.0, KDE Plasma 5.22.5, KDE Applications 21.08.3, LibreOffice 18.104.22.168, Chromium 96.0.4664.45, Linux Kernel 5.15.6.
- CLDC (Cinnamon desk) In this edition the components were updated: Cinnamon 5.0.6, LibreOffice 22.214.171.124, Chromium 96.0.4664.45, Evolution 3.40.4, GIMP 2.10.28, Rhythmbox 3.4.4, Linux Kernel 5.15.6.
- CLDL (LXQt desktop) In this edition the components were updated: LXQt 0.17, LibreOffice 126.96.36.199, Chromium 96.0.4664.45, Claws Mail 3.17.8, GIMP 2.10.28, Strawberry 1.0, Linux kernel 5.15.6.
- CLDM (MATE desktop) In this edition the components were updated: MATE 1.24, LibreOffice 188.8.131.52, Chromium 96.0.4664.45, Claws Mail 3.17.8, GIMP 2.10.28, Strawberry 1.0, Linux Kernel 5.15.6.
- CLDX (Xfce desktop) In this edition the components were updated: Xfce 4.16, LibreOffice 184.108.40.206, Chromium 96.0.4664.45, Claws Mail 3.17.8, Gimp 2.10.28, Strawberry 1.0, Linux Kernel 5.15.6.
- CLDXS (Xfce Scientific desktop) In this edition the components were updated: Xfce 4.16, Eclipse 4.13, Inkscape 1.1, LibreOffice 220.127.116.11, Chromium 96.0.4664.45, Claws Mail 3.18, GIMP 2.10.28, Linux Kernel 5.15.6.
- CDS (directory server) In this edition the components were updated: OpenLDAP 2.4.58, Samba 4.14.10, Postfix 3.6.3, ProFTPD 1.3.7c, Bind 9.16.12.
- CLS (Linux Scratch) in this edition the components were updated: Xorg server 1.20.13, Linux kernel 5.15.6.
- CSS (Scratch server) in this edition the components were updated: Linux kernel 5.15.6, Calculate Utilities 18.104.22.168.
Download and Get Calculate Linux 22
For those who are interested in being able to test this new version of the distribution and as already mentioned the changes in the different editions, you should know that all versions of the distribution are distributed as a bootable live image for x86_64 systems with the capacity to install on a hard drive or USB drive.
To get the system image, they can do it from the link below.