As you know, the story of Unix / Linux and C go hand in hand. The Linux kernel is written mainly in this programming language, and it was even decided to update the parts written in assembler to rewrite them in C and make it easier for developers. Now there is even debate about using Rust (Mozilla's language) in the kernel for security reasons.
But regardless of the guts of the operating system, if you are Developer (or you are thinking of learning a programming language) and you are working with a GNU / Linux distro, surely you would like to know which are the best, or most popular, to develop apps for these platforms ...
Well, here is a list with some of the programming languages more interesting:
- Python: This interpreted language has become very popular for the development of utilities, whether security or other tools. The reason is that it is a simple language for learning, powerful, and that it has a multitude of interesting libraries to work with.
- C++: is another of the most used programming languages. It is object-oriented, powerful, and one of the most popular in Linux applications, desktop environments, etc. Also, if you are thinking about video game development, it will also be a great option.
- C: Of course, it is not only the basis of the Linux kernel and many essential tools, it is also present in a multitude of programs. In addition, it is one of the most powerful languages and allows programming also at a lower level, which is ideal for controllers, high-performance applications, etc.
- Perl- This scripting language is still important, despite being considered somewhat outdated by many. It is the Swiss Army Knife for developers of certain utilities. However, it must be recognized that little by little it is being replaced by Ruby, PHP or Python.
- Java: is another of the most used languages, since it is multiplatform. In addition, it is also a good idea if you plan to create for Android. It is used for all types of software, from utilities, to games like Minecraft, so it is very versatile.
- Go: Google's language is also gaining fans. It is already used for many important projects. It is easy to learn, for general use, has a C-like syntax, its programs compile and run very fast. It has an extensive standard library that is complemented by third-party libraries.