After learning about this release and looking at our database, I was surprised that we have not released anything on this operating system since February 2020. I do not know the reason, it is probably that they themselves have published it less in networks and we have forgotten about it, but Arch Linux 2021.01.01 It has been launched a few hours ago, and it comes with some outstanding novelty.
Distributions that release a new version every six months, or even longer as in the case of Debian, usually arrive with a News list more extensive than Rolling Releases like Arch Linux. And it is that the Rolling Release are adding the changes as soon as they are ready, and in reality they do not launch new versions, but new images that include new numbering and sometimes a new code name, such as Manjaro. Yes they usually mention if there is a new version of the kernel, and this new ISO Arrives with Linux 5.10.
Arch Linux Highlights 2021.01.01
- Linux 5.10.3 LTS. On this article You have a list of its hottest new features, like EXT4 now supports fast commits and faster file overwrite performance in DIO / DAX modes.
- Support for the ARMv8.5 memory tagging extension.
- Support for Amazon Nitro enclaves.
- Support has been added for the SM2 digital signature algorithm.
- Memory suggestions for other processes.
- AMD SEV-ES support for encryption of guest registration status on virtualized guests.
- Performance improvements for virtio-fs.
- RISC-V architecture support for booting on EFI systems.
- All packages updated, including new versions of browsers and other software, as well as security patches released in December 2020.
The Existing users can update with the command sudo pacman -Syu, although they probably already have most of the updates installed. For zero installs, which is the rationale behind the new images, Arch Linux 2021.01.01 is available at this link.