Recently the new version of Open CASCADE 7.4.0 was released, which is a suite for 3D solid and surface modeling, visualization, data exchange and rapid application development.
It is an excellent platform for the development of numerical simulation software that includes CAD, CAM, CAE, AEC, and GIS, as well as PDM applications. It also includes C ++ components for 3D solid and surface modeling, visualization, data exchange, and rapid application development.
Technology Open CASCADE is the core component or important from programs like FreeCAD, KiCAD, Netgen, gmsh, CadQuery, pyOCCT and others. Open CASCADE Technology 7.4.0 includes more than 500 improvements and fixes compared to the previous version 7.3.0, which was released a year and a half ago.
What's new in Open CASCADE 7.4.0?
In this new version of Open CASCADE some improvements for application work within LinuxSuch is the case with improved Linux support for embedded platforms.
Besides that it is highlighted that detection performance was improved along with font management and that tools were improved to analyze display performance.
Another change that stands out in the ad is the blueprint clippings support, a new class AIS_ViewController to handle user input (mouse, touch screen) in camera manipulation and an option to exclude geometry seams when displaying the frame.
Work was improved to show the outline of shaded objects and the calculation of properties of surface and volume in triangulation (models without analytical definition of geometry).
It is also noted that Open CASCADE 7.4.0 has XCAF document export enhancements (with compilation structure, names and colors) to a VRML file, support for some non-ASCII encodings in STEP imports. Giveaway test environment, as well as new tools to import data from glTF 2.0 and OBJ formats.
Of the other changes that stand out of this new version of Open CASCADE 7.4.0:
- Improved camera control in the 3D viewer.
- Show object with dynamic texture (video)
- Reading compressed bitmaps from memory
- Removing deprecated local context functionality from AIS.
- Gl2ps dependency removed (based on legacy OpenGL functionality)
- Improved reliability, performance and accuracy of the BRepMesh algorithm
- Parameters to control linear and angular deviations for the interior of faces in BRepMesh
- Greater reliability and stability of logical and extreme operations.
- Logical operations are included on open bodies.
- The option to disable the generation of history, speeding up logical operations.
- Option to simplify the results of Boolean operations.
- New interface in BRepBndLib that returns the finite volume for open edge geometry
- New "constant throat" chamfer modes
- Removed API for old Boolean operations
- Fixed issues when running Draw from batch scripts.
- Improved support for Draw in an environment other than CASROOT.
- Improved performance of built-in parallelization procedures (OSD_Parallel)
- Tools for convenient and efficient BVH tree travel
- TPrsStd_AIS presentation attribute optimization
- An example of integrating a 3D viewer into a glfw application
How to install Open CASCADE?
For those who are interested in being able to install this tool on their system, they should know that Open CASCADE has a version for both Windows and Linux.
So, for any of the cases, Can download the new version from the link below.
It is important to mention that In the case of Linux, the new version must be built from source Or the other option is to wait for this new version of Open CASCADE 7.4.0 to be updated within the official channels of your distribution.
As at the moment it is already available for Arch Linux Therefore, users of this distro, as well as its derivatives, can install Open CASCADE from a terminal by typing:
sudo pacman -S opencascade